Re: openssh 4.7p1 Debian-4, OpenSSL 0.9.8g hangs after authentication [SOLVED]

On 29/03/2008, Eike Lantzsch <zp6cge@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I suspected the firewall on the workstation and casually CTRL-ALT-F2'ed into a
console. I logged on as the same user. Lo-and-behold: It works fine on the
same machine in a text console. I went back to KDE and tried an xterm instead
of Konsole. It also hangs with xterm. That flabbergasted me completely. How
can OpenSSH be different when using it in a terminal window than on a console
while X is still running on ALT-F7?

So it IS different. I deleted /tmp/ssh-pscjC23970 which is not created when
starting ssh in a text console. Now ssh works again from an xterm and
Konsole.

/tmp/ssh-pscjC23970 is a socket file created by ssh-agent(1). It
seems that KDE starts ssh-agent, while that doesn't happen when you
login. Anyway, ssh look for a running ssh-agent by reading the
variable SSH_AUTH_SOCK; this is setup by KDE when it launches
ssh-agent, while in the console there is no such variable (or, if
there, refers to a different instance). This explains the different
behavior, but why ssh hangs when connecting to ssh-agent I don't know.

Ciao,
Bernardo

  • Fwd: Re: question
    ... Because if i understood well then you have problems with the console and the ... >>> yes I'm using a laptop. ... However KDE ... >> the non-graphical interface ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • [kde] Re: SSH Forward KDE applications
    ... which is the best way to correctly setup the console environment to ... execute the properly kde apps via ssh forwarding? ... FWIW I only do CLI SSH here, ... other) apps to execute remotely, is connect from a user console via "ssh ...
    (KDE)
  • upgraded kde3.3.1 not working properly. Need help.
    ... and I'm trying to get kde 3.3 to work. ... But by doing a console login as root, killing xdm, and restarting it, the ... wav audio works, but midi is broken. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [SLE] howto work with modem at console?
    ... >connection with my isp from console. ... >I got to dependant on KDE. ... You might have to adjust the generic.chat and options file to suit your ... ABORT "NO CARRIER" ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Strange graphical problem in xterm
    ... I'm trying to play nethack in a console window in KDE, ... You haven't set up xterm properly to emulate the ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.nethack)