Re: SSH through wireless router

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Haines Brown <brownh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a laptop (sidux on Thinkpad X61s) that connects via wi-fi to
the wireless router connected to my desktop machine (etch) via CAT5,
which has the name "teufel".

I can connect to the router, which I name "router", by:

$ ssh router

but then I'm stuck with the password. I've tried the password I use to
administer the router without luck.

I actually don't want to connect to the router, but to the desktop using
the router. The name and address of that machine on the LAN is
listed in the SSH client's /etc/hosts file, and so I tried $ ssh
teufel. However, I can't even connect: Connection is closed by remote host

Can't I access all machines connected to the router and running a SSH
server merely by using those machines' names for the ssh command?

If I undertood correctly, both machines are connected to the same
router (it doesn't really matter if it's wireless or via cable). So
you should, with no additional setup (except perhaps adding an entry
in /etc/hosts, which you already have), be able to connect from one
machine to another.

Can you ping teufel? Can you ping its IP address directly?