Re: SSH through wireless router

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Haines Brown <brownh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a laptop (sidux on Thinkpad X61s) that connects via wi-fi to
the wireless router connected to my desktop machine (etch) via CAT5,
which has the name "teufel".

I can connect to the router, which I name "router", by:

$ ssh router

but then I'm stuck with the password. I've tried the password I use to
administer the router without luck.

I actually don't want to connect to the router, but to the desktop using
the router. The name and address of that machine on the LAN is
listed in the SSH client's /etc/hosts file, and so I tried $ ssh
teufel. However, I can't even connect: Connection is closed by remote host

Can't I access all machines connected to the router and running a SSH
server merely by using those machines' names for the ssh command?

If I undertood correctly, both machines are connected to the same
router (it doesn't really matter if it's wireless or via cable). So
you should, with no additional setup (except perhaps adding an entry
in /etc/hosts, which you already have), be able to connect from one
machine to another.

Can you ping teufel? Can you ping its IP address directly?

  • Re: Dropping SSH connections over the internet
    ... Some times the second connection will be interrupted as well. ... As the previous 2 posters said, SSH is ... the router at my workplace has a timeout and just drops connections ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... by CEICW for any type of connection other than full time broadband was ... exists - is completely transparent to the SBS. ... "local router with an IP address" is the setup that matches her network. ... between the server and my cable modem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... connected to is; what type of connection; or even whether a connection ... exists - is completely transparent to the SBS. ... "local router with an IP address" is the setup that matches her network. ... between the server and my cable modem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: TV service query ? ? ?
    ... a wireless router. ... a router with extended coverage. ... cable and a wireless connection that you can not see. ... is to have users downloading r/t video, large video files, or other ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Xbox 360 and Media Center Connectivity Problems
    ... between the media center pc and the xbox 360.... ... will have to try and research a wireless router/access point that will not ... deter the extender and media center from holding a connection... ... via the router, with the MCE ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)