Re: [VERY OT while waiting for Lenny?] reminiscing on old computers

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 04:22:06PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

I was seriously surprised with the power my old 95 Kia Sportage had. 4
banger, but got 147HP on the State of Oregon DEQ dynos at Hillsboro. It once
pulled a Ford Explorer out of a drainage ditch, and with the help of another
jeep, got a bus moving again on an icy day.

"Old" and "Kia" in the same sentence? How "old" are we talking? Also,
don't confuse HP with torque. Given enough time and a come-along, you
yourself could pull an Explorer out of a ditch. When I travel up north
in winter, I keep a come-along and 20 feet of logging chain in the back
of the car. Used it a few times on my driveway when I lived up there.

Since the bus was on an Icy day, thank the tires for good traction with
kudos to the driver (you) for a light touch on the throttle so you
didn't just polish your tire prints.

As for motorize OOMPH, as the saying goes, there's no replacement for
displacement. That old 79 Tbird with the 86 engine is a case in point.
In 1986 (at least here in Canada), Ford did away with their big block
engines (e.g. the 400 c.i.) but still needed the oomph so they took the
small-block 351 (5.8 L) Windsor engine, added all the typical
after-market things (e.g. roller rockers) and tweaked it for torque.
With nice long headers on it you came up with the magic numbers of 500 +
500 (HP and Ft-Lb torque). Plunk that in a sporty car designed for a
1979 302 (5.0 L), add an Edlebrock carb and intake, and you get great
mileage with a light foot but floor it and (once the tranny kicks down
and the other two barrels open up) you get 0-60 in under 4 seconds on a
very heavy car with all the emission controlls functional.

Too bad the body was all rusted out.

I think T-birds now weigh less than 2000 lbs and have a 3 L engine; all
gearing.

Oh well.

Doug.

  • Re: 94 Explorer VIN X V6 runs for a minute and dies
    ... bright when the car is running as when the car is cranking but dead. ... Can you keep the engine running indefinitely if you keep spraying the ... allowing them to dispense the fuel? ... If I hear the clicking do I still need to do the lamp test? ...
    (rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer)
  • NASCAR RULES...no es verdad ?
    ... GENERAL CAR AND BODY REQUIREMENTS ... Car must be strictly stock. ... The stock floor pan, fire walls, trunk, trunk floor, (see fuel ... DETAILED ENGINE REQUIREMENTS ...
    (rec.autos.sport.nascar)
  • Re: OT: Blast From The Past - steam - hot and cold
    ... Cold engine powers car with efficiency ... Cylinder injection of a heat transfer fluid followed ... steam power being the most obvious ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Is Sirius available in Mr. Bean cars?
    ... How about a car that runs on water, ... (they convert 100% of the potential power of the electricity to ... the power in the system between the gas engine, two generators, ... electricity in the batteries consumed by the low-speed acceleration. ...
    (alt.fan.howard-stern)
  • Re: 94 Explorer VIN X V6 runs for a minute and dies
    ... I would hook up the lamp just to see that it glows as bright when the car is running as when the car is cranking but dead. ... It is possible that a bunch of dirt got to rail and got distributed to the injectors and that they are plugged, thus not allowing them to dispense the fuel? ... I only suggest this because the engine ran when you sprayed the cleaner. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer)