Re: Clearing SWAP

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 05/02/08 09:59, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 05/02/08 09:13, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 05/01/08 16:55, Mike Bird wrote:
[snip]
You have two gdm's, and xfce desktop, and a lot of KDE running.
You have several heavy applications running. That's way more
than will fit comfortably in a gig of RAM.
Isn't that just pathetic? Makes me want to shake my cane at some
young punk and rave about how WordStar on a KayPro IV was the last
good word processor...

If you can't quickly find a solution to those two xfce memory
hogs I would suggest dropping xfce and gdm, and using kdm. You're
If God meant man to a display manager, he wouldn't have invented
startx!
Eh? "If God meant a use for display managers, he wouldn't have revealed
startx. Except for those of his special friends who use multi-seat
Debian."
If God had wanted Man to use multi-seat, He would have let it be
used with startx.

Absolutely true. However, an oversight in creation (which is eternal and
constant) is providing VT's which each videocard. This causes a
difficulty for using startx for any user except the first one.

A heretical notion perhaps...

Heretics get burned at the stake.

http://www.geocities.com/hugovanwoerkom/bullxxii.html

Hugo

    (Debian-User)
  • Root can startx, main user cant - new Wheezy install
    ... Sound, wifi, mail, ssh, X -- all good. ... who can also startx. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Can Debians paranoia be tamed
    ... The better with those solutions is the removal of a useless ... I'm exploring just how many undesired I get with any flavor of Gnome. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Booting Debian
    ... You hadn't mentioned that you have a command prompt! ... Type "startx" without the quotation marks. ... Basically, the best thing to do may well be to start the installation again, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problem with kdm 3.5 not starting
    ... > This morning KDE 3.5 arrived, ... > if I start it with startx. ... > error saying the on the X command, the -br option is not recognised. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)