Re: HELP - Can't boot - I/O error reading swsusp.image

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 05:23:46PM -0400, wa9als@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
attempt to access beyond end of device
hda2: rw=16, want=8, limit=2
I/O error reading swsusp image.

one case where "access beyond end of device" can happen is this:

You delete a partition on a disk where also other partitions are used
(mounted, or used for swap).

Then, without rebooting, you recreate the partition but not with
_exactly_ the same starting and ending point (in this case, a ending
point which is before the previous one)

Again without rebooting, you start using the re-created partition. The
kernel sitll has in memory (and in /proc/partitions) the OLD starting
and ending points of the partition, so mkswap, mkfs*, whatever still use
the "old geometry".

Then you reboot, and at the reboot the kernel reads the new partition
table ...

  • Re: /etc/fstab question
    ... unrestricted access to everything on a particular partition. ... On rebooting it failed with a "missing mount point" message. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: df discrepencies
    ... Why rebooting would change this number is beyond me. ... I am absolutely certain that in the past I've seen output similar to the following: ... 4th column is in error) because the rsync scripts that ran last night all seemed to succeed in writing to this partition despite the fact that column 4 was reporting 0 as the available disk space. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: XP Professional unstable and reboots
    ... You have made the assumption that your system is rebooting because of the ... Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User ... > I probably should not have used the CD that came with the Seagate. ... > But do I have to remove the partition Seagate put on the hard drive first? ...
  • Re: XP logs on & logs off repeatedly - HELP !!!
    ... > I am booted in to another XP partition? ... There may be smore than one folders with name like ... When I boot my PC, ... >> was the same repeated rebooting. ...
  • Re: XP logs on & logs off repeatedly - HELP !!!
    ... > I am booted in to another XP partition? ... There may be smore than one folders with name like ... When I boot my PC, ... >> was the same repeated rebooting. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)