Kernel panic: initramfs problem?

Hi folks,

I have to compile a vanilla kernel 2.6.25 to access a new wireless
module and keep things as small as possible on this old laptop.

So far so good. Everything compiles and all but I can't reboot
with the new kernel. Everything is fine using the 2.6.18.6 stock
kernel but the new one - no joy.

Google reveals plenty of similar error messages - but no
solutions. Might it be some sort of mount or ramdisk problem?

Here's the output from the last boot screen:

Begin: running /scripts/local-premount
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/hda5) = (dev3,5)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/hda5 [aka swap, hda1 is /]
PM: starting manual resume from /dev/hda5
kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot
resume: libcrypt version 1.2.3
resume: could not read the image
Done.
ReiserFS: hda1: found ReiserFS format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: hda1: using ordered Data mode
ReiserFS: hda1: journal params: device hda1, size 8192, journal \
first block 18, max. trans len 1024, max. batch 900, max. \
committ age 30, max. trans. age 30
ReiserFS: checking transactions log (hda1)
ReiserFS: using r5 hash to sort names
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom
Done.
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom
mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: Invalid argument
Done.
run-init: making initramfs contents: Directory not empty
kernel-panic: not syncing : attempted to kill init!

Can anyone be of help diagnosing this problem. Any pointers
links or suggestions as to the cause much appreciated.

tia,

b.

  • Re: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Distributions
    ... | general there are a lot of packages for people to use. ... kernel, have to run on a multitude of different systems, they tend to be ... and slower than if you compile those packages, ... can have that stability with virtually any distro. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Computer freezes with linux-image-2.6.21-2
    ... for example if you have compiled any module/driver for you video card for the old kernel and not for the new; ... I did not compile anything special... ... "Mis soldados dependen del dinero, que depende de la fuerza, que depende de ellos mismos." ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Distributions
    ... Ubuntu is based on Debian, ... | general there are a lot of packages for people to use. ... kernel, have to run on a multitude of different systems, they tend to be larger ... and slower than if you compile those packages, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Problems with custom kernel fbsd 6.2
    ... My kernel for freebsd 6.2 is not compiling but only with my custom config. ... I was able to compile it with the GENERIC kernel included, but my modified one will not compile. ... # Power management support ...
    (freebsd-questions)