Re: Inconsistent state in util-linux

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 09:55:28 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 09:59:14PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 06:34:12PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:06:03 -0500, Rob Wright wrote:

/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm is not part of Debian. Get rid of
it and the proper module at /usr/lib/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm will be used.
Running "aptitude install -f" should then be enough to fix your system.

This has been in a thread recently. Are people compiling their own perl
into /usr/local or has something incorrectly put something there?

People occasionally decide to install perl modules directly from CPAN,
which can lead to this problem. CPAN is a great resource, but having it
install directly onto Debian (or most any distribution) is not a good
idea.

Well, the sysadmin should be able to put whatever they want in
/usr/local without messing up debian automated systems. Why is apt or
grub or whatever trying to run perl from /usr/local? If it needs a
specific version of perl, why is it not using the proper full path?

Sounds like a bug to me.

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-perl.html#s-paths

Florian |

  • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
    ... > libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... > Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.tk)
  • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
    ... libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.tk)
  • Perl on Linux and SQL Server 2000 on Windows
    ... There was a time when I did a lot of searching on ways to use Perl ... sitting on Linux to connect SQL Server 2000 sitting on Windows. ... cpan> install DBI ... Install FreeTDS ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Please Help !!! Unable to install DBD-Oracle ( I am using perl 5.6 on solaris 8)
    ... Ron, I could be way off here, but the OP mayalready have Perl ... think the original issue was that he tried to use *PPM* to install ... I don't have any Solaris ... you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: Installing DBD::File via CPAN
    ... Do you use 'UNINST=1' in the build options for CPAN? ... >> Did you build Perl from source, or install via a RPM or binary distro? ... >>> sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us ...
    (perl.dbi.users)