Re: Blocking Gmail ads

On Thu, May 15, 2008 11:24 am, Ron Johnson wrote:
The source only needs to be available to parties that you distribute
binaries to.

Presuming the application is also licensed under the GPL and/or links to
GPLed libs as opposed to LGPL libs. Just because it runs on Linux does
not mean the GPL applies. In fact I code in Python and run a lot of my
code on Linux. Linux is mostly GPL. Python is under the PSL. The code
I write is not beholden to either the GPL or PSL simply because it is
Python code interpreted by the Python executable which is running atop
Linux.

Use of a licensed product to create something else does not put that
something else under the GPL. This is a very common misconception about
the GPL. It is only when one modifies the GPLed product and
redistributes it that the source must be included.

--
Steve Lamb

  • Re: masm32
    ... > Linux distro and tried to sell it as your own. ... (see section 1 of the gnu public license). ... My reading of this suggests that it applies only to circumvention (and ... > rip off one of the big reseach universities in the US but what put GPL ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: GPL encumbrance problems
    ... in order to use Linux, when other OS with more interpretable licenses exist, and which are as cheap as Linux when you factor in the support issues which come with the "cost free" Linux versions. ... Do you make enough money in other ... I have seen no one demand that GPL be changed, or that people not use GPL. ... Linux might profit from some injection of proprietary ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux Advocates Fear Solaris 10.
    ... Linux is fast. ... > GPL programs that were written to do things you either cannot or are ... I have SPARC and UltraSPARC machines too... ... Your children do not stand a chance of freedom, ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: GPL encumbrance problems
    ... and which are as cheap as Linux when you factor ... Do you make enough money in other ... > conforms to the GPL, and whether you are willing to wait. ... If I can see that *something* isn't a way to make a living, ...
    (Fedora)
  • does this multi-value product exist?
    ... Obviously I am a GPL fan and to the best of my knowledge there is ... So the Open Source community feels helpless to fight the M$ cash pile ... > His choice of words was awkward but OpenQM _is_ only Open for Linux ... >>as GPL infection. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)