save mail

Newbie question:

What would you recommend to save mails. (I don t think it matters but I use postfix, courier-imap)
I ve heard of mail sync for email but don t wanna used this solution to begin.
A backup to a disk would be good for me.

The question I wonder is :
What happen when a cron task is launched and that a mail is about to be delivered.
Is it queued again ?
Or perhaps worse, if a mail is about to be delivered and a cron task (backup task) is starting

More generally, can you explain me the mecanism of locks

I use maildirs but I would like also know how to do for mailboxes

Thanks for reply

Do You Yahoo!?
En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicités Yahoo! Mail