Re: apt-get joke

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 01:49:18PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 04:57:39PM +1000, Rich Healey wrote:
Owen Townend wrote:
On 25/05/2008, Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems146@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 25 May 2008 03:11:05 +1000 Owen Townen wrote:
> On 24/05/2008, Chris Bannister <mockingbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

apt-get -b source wife

is nice because you're not getting the binary... whatever that means,
but instead the source code required which can be easily
modified. THen you can build, test, modify to your heart's
desire. Though what you do with the builds that you don't want is a
problem. I'm sure glad my mk1mod0 wife doesn't read this
list... Though I'd not trade her for any flashy features that may come
in newer versions...

Actually, since apparently one in five human genes is patented in the
US, you may be breaking copyright if you use apt-get to get the source.
To get around the patents, you'd have to go back in time and get two
people to make your (to them, future) wife the old-fashioned pre-patent
way. Of course, they'd have to brain-wash her so that by the time the
present comes along, she will forgo all others and wait for (anticipate)
and settle for you.

:)

Some of us believe that this happens already on our behalf and we get a
better half upon which we can't apt-get update or upgrade.

LOVE
YOU
WIFE

(remember that from The Abyss?)

Doug.

  • Re: Linux install bug
    ... On 02/07/12 07:51 AM, greenstar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote: I'm a 'straight out of the box' user, fail abyssmally to use the command line, find most advice itself incomprehendable - sorry! ... Upgrading Ubuntu is a little painful. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Experimental (temporarily)
    (Debian-User)
  • ..OT, was: Question
    ... ..just copyrights, no patents, they require far more funding than ... > Creative process, terminating in basic prototype, for example. ... your product doesn't have a market. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How stable is squeeze?