Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

p.daniels wrote:
On Wednesday June 11 2008 07:58:53 Thomas H. George wrote:
The college is offering packages starting at $1,399 (Dell Latitude
D630)
and $1,499 (Lenoveo ThinkPad T61) all with 2GB memory,
10/100/1000
Ethernet, Wireless, 1394 Port, Bluetooth, Vista 32Bit Business OS,
SmartCare/4in1 Media Card Reader and Microsoft Office 2007
Professional
pre-installed by certified technicians located on campus. Three year
warranty and 1GB Flash Drive thrown in.

Money is tight, of course. If I were the student and there is a
modest-priced laptop with Debian and OpenOffice I'd take it in a flash.
I'm not the student, I'm his 79 year old grandfather and I don't want
him to start off at a disadvantage. There are certainly many college
students and recent grads that subscribe to this list. I would value
your insights.

Tom

Wow, that's an awful lot of money. Do some shopping on newegg.com, I got my Lenovo Y510 for under $700. 2 Gb RAM, dual core Intel, card reader, great wireless, webcam, the whole nine yards, and may I add it works great with Debian. I've only had it for a few months, but I am unabashedly thrilled with my purchase, especially at the price (I think it was a sale, but it was only $100 off or so, that's still well under a thousand).

But does the modem work?

Hugo

  • Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?
    ... SmartCare/4in1 Media Card Reader and Microsoft Office 2007 ... warranty and 1GB Flash Drive thrown in. ... I'm not the student, I'm his 79 year old grandfather and I don't want ... that's an awful lot of money. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Homebuilt VS HP
    ... when you're homebuilding you wont pay the money for the guy who puts your parts together, you really know what is inside your rig, you can get all those you really want, you can build exactly that computer you want. ... LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support ... ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM ... 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: [SLE] Multi-function printers and SuSE 9.1
    ... > flatbed scanner does as well, and even the card reader works. ... > would recommend it ... > great value for the money. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Syncing mpeg movies
    ... I could get one but don't want to waste the money for the occasional ... video I want to transfer. ... There are software products for the Palm to turn the Palm into a card ... I use Card Reader, ...
    (comp.sys.palmtops.pilot)
  • Aiptek Digital Camera
    ... camcorder, sd card reader, web cam makes it a great value for money a ...
    (rec.photo.equipment.35mm)