Re: off-line dictionary (gnome)

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 01:15:02AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
* Johann Spies <jspies@xxxxxxxxx> [080617 01:00]:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:28:26AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
Running Debian and the Gnome desktop, what is necessary for a
dictionary which may be used off-line -- that is, going to localhost
rather than to dict.org ?

The man pages for dict and dictd don't appear to discuss off-line
access. The instructions I found in a wiki titled "Gnome-dictionary
Offline" do not agree with the menus which I find in Dictionary
2.14.0.

I only use the dict-packages offline. Just install all the
dictionaries you want to use and make sure that your dict client refer
to localhost as server.

Thanks, but I already did that, using the edit -> preferences menu of
Dictionary 2.14.0. But the response is very slow (several seconds,
because another machine on the network is doing a jidgo download), so
it is obvious that the client is going out to dict.org.

Perhaps dictd is not running? How can I check to see?

'sudo nmap localhost' on my PC shows inter alia:

2628/tcp open dict

or

~$ ps aux | grep [d]ict
dictd 4929 0.0 0.2 95752 4276 ? Ss Jun02 0:00 dictd 1.10.11:

If it is not running, try /etc/init.d/dictd restart. You can also
check your /var/log/daemon.log for messages about dictd.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the
LORD delivereth him out of them all."
Psalms 34:19