Re: off-line dictionary (gnome)

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 01:15:02AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
* Johann Spies <jspies@xxxxxxxxx> [080617 01:00]:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:28:26AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
Running Debian and the Gnome desktop, what is necessary for a
dictionary which may be used off-line -- that is, going to localhost
rather than to dict.org ?

The man pages for dict and dictd don't appear to discuss off-line
access. The instructions I found in a wiki titled "Gnome-dictionary
Offline" do not agree with the menus which I find in Dictionary
2.14.0.

I only use the dict-packages offline. Just install all the
dictionaries you want to use and make sure that your dict client refer
to localhost as server.

Thanks, but I already did that, using the edit -> preferences menu of
Dictionary 2.14.0. But the response is very slow (several seconds,
because another machine on the network is doing a jidgo download), so
it is obvious that the client is going out to dict.org.

Perhaps dictd is not running? How can I check to see?

'sudo nmap localhost' on my PC shows inter alia:

2628/tcp open dict

or

~$ ps aux | grep [d]ict
dictd 4929 0.0 0.2 95752 4276 ? Ss Jun02 0:00 dictd 1.10.11:

If it is not running, try /etc/init.d/dictd restart. You can also
check your /var/log/daemon.log for messages about dictd.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the
LORD delivereth him out of them all."
Psalms 34:19

  • Re: off-line dictionary (gnome)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: off-line dictionary (gnome)
    ... dictionary which may be used off-line -- that is, going to localhost ... The man pages for dict and dictd don't appear to discuss off-line ... dictionaries you want to use and make sure that your dict client refer ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [SLE] friendly English lesson
    (SuSE)
  • dictd dictionaries?
    ... I can't start dictd. ... It complains: ... The error was: Starting dictd: no dictionaries ... I have yum list *dict* and find ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Internal Format Numbers
    ... I don't quite understand this statement as the dict seems most ... Similarly if using projections for xml or an AJAX MVC framework, ... control to be insufficient and use Global dictionaries that apply to an ... might be that Cache' is accommodating where others might not be (I ...
    (comp.databases.pick)