Re: Mysql fails to install after "aptitude purge mysql-server --purge-unused"

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 18:34:53 -0700, S D wrote:
Hi,

For some reason mysql fails to install after running "aptitude purge
mysql-server --purge-unused". I want a clean, fresh mysql installation
and don't care about what happens to the old mysql data/config
files/etc. It appears the install scrip is looking for the old
"/etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf" and fails since it doesn't
exist.

Any ideas? Thanks

# uname -a
Linux testsrv 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 22:11:31 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

# aptitude purge mysql-server --purge-unused

[...]

postfix postfix-doc
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done

# aptitude install mysql-server

[...]

The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl mysql-client-5.0 mysql-server-5.0
postfix postfix-doc
libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl mysql-client-5.0 mysql-server mysql-server-5.0
0 packages upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

[...]

Setting up mysql-server-5.0 (5.0.32-7etch5) ...
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server-5.0.postinst: line 143: /etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):

That line in the script reads:

echo -e "# created by debconf\n[mysqld]\nold_passwords = $RET" > /etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf

This does not seem to require that old_passwords.cnf exists beforehand.
Is there still enough space on all the relevant partitions, does the
/etc/mysql/conf.d/ directory exist?

Can you do this:

touch /etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf

Florian |

  • DBI / DBD / MySQL installation problem
    ... I used to run Red Hat 9, and had a perfect relationship with Perl, DBI, ... able to connect to MySQL from Perl via DBI. ... Running install for module Mysql ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: How to migrate my localhost php site to my ISP - Was: willing to learn php basics
    ... I have now got to a point that I have a working MySQL database system on ... could not expect to install a database that would be available to the ... As Monique said, you can use MySQL to store passwords and write your own login script, but you should also be able to use basic authentication in the web server to require a user name and password for access to web pages, which may well be enough for your purposes. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Installing Puresecure on Solaris 8
    ... Getting puresecure installed on Solaris was very difficult. ... I had to manually install a number of things. ... CONFIGURING MYSQL: ... INSTALLING PERL MODULES ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Enabling MySQL for PHP on CentOS 5
    ... I cannot get PHP to use mysql correctly. ... find are instructions to install each portion from scratch. ... If you have the mysql-dev and apache-dev packages installed, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)