Re: How to fix resolv.conf?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 04:35:59PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

When connecting to internet with a certain provider, I have problems with
browsing. Then I want to fill the file /etc/resolv.conf with the proper dns
servers but the file changes automatically during the connection being filled
with values different from the ones I want.

Googling around I experimented many possible solutions but none worked
(e.g. edit the file /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf).
Even putting off the write permissions over resolv.conf did not work: it must
be created every time.

Does anyone have any experience about a real solution?

"Damon L. Chesser" <damon@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Rodolfo,

I don't understand your issue. Are you using dhcp, you must be, and as
a result, your resolve.conf changes with input from the dhcp server.
Use static IP in /etc/network/interfaces, edit resolv.conf, you are
done.

Here is a copy of my files:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain damtek.org
search damtek.org
nameserver 68.87.68.162
nameserver 68.87.74.162
nameserver 192.168.200.1

cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
# address 192.168.200.15
# netmask 255.255.255.0
# network 192.168.200.0
# broadcast 192.168.200.255
# gateway 192.168.200.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 192.168.200.1
dns-search damtek.org
address 192.168.200.15
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.200.16
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.200.1

My dns servers do not now change as a result. If you use dhcp (and have
to use it) then in my case the name servers are given to me by my
router/dns server which gets it from the ISP. I do not have resolveconf
package installed. Does this help?

Thanks. My `/etc/network/interface' is very poor:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

. Now, suppose I want the following ppp connection log output:

local IP address 151.82.24.152
remote IP address 10.6.6.6
primary DNS address 193.70.152.25
secondary DNS address 193.70.192.25

. In /etc/resolv.conf I suppose I have to put the lines:

nameserver 193.70.152.25
nameserver 193.70.192.25

. How do you suggest I should edit /etc/network/interface?

Thanks
Rodolfo