Re: CIFS mount errors

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 12:01:31 +1000, Robert S wrote:
I have several mounted CIFS shares to a Win XP Pro server. This
usually functions well for a few days/hours then I get input/output
errors. When I unmount them and try to reconnect I get:

# mount -a -t cifs
mount error 5 = Input/output error
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
mount error 5 = Input/output error
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I get this in my syslog

Aug 7 11:39:38 debian kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -5
Aug 7 11:39:38 debian kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -5
Aug 7 11:39:38 debian kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -5
Aug 7 11:39:39 debian kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -5

I hope somebody can help with this - its a very frustrating problem.
I haven't found a fix anywhere on the net.

This is a stab in the dark: Did you already try to explicitly disable
the Linux extensions? Run

echo "0" > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled

before you mount the share.

Florian |

  • Re: Trying to Mount New 2-Gig Zenstone MP3 Player
    ... and I haven't been able to mount it to save my soul. ... ZEN STONE FAT32 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: undo rm deleteing /etc very urgent
    ... I got the HD and connect it as slave HD and mount it then I ... > filesystem /etc was stored on. ... And that is to grab the FC install ... To unsubscribe: http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list -- ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Cant read any DVD, and cant mount the dvd drive
    ... mount: special device /dev/sdc0 does not exist ... I guess I will have some work tomorrow and will change the dvd drives to see ... Modify settings or unsubscribe at: ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: SUDO
    ... the pre-lvm era], and it contains a partition hda16, and I must put it ... drive is to use the "offset" parameter of mount. ... separate things (operating system from data, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: mounting a dvdrw
    ... so you're burning an image or something to a blank dvdrw. ... burnt prior to mounting it, which could be an iso image, a copy of a ... Once mounted, you can cd into the mount point (typcically /media/cdrom1 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)