Re: can't configure networking for static IP address

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:58:01AM -0700, Vwaju wrote:
On Aug 10, 5:10 pm, Alex Samad <a...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:48:48PM -0700, Vwaju wrote:

Hi, Alex --

For some reason, I can't get linux.debian.user to post my reply. I
tried "Reply" twice, and my comments disappear into Tumbolia.

Here is my response to your helpful observations.

I edited /etc/network/interfaces to look like this:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0

# configured for DHCP during Debian installation
# iface eth0 int dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
address 207.237.37.110
netmask 255.255.255.224
network 207.237.37.96
broadcast 207.237.37.127
gateway 207.237.37.97

where did you get this info from ?

I got this from Linux System Administration (O'Reilly, 2007).
Virtually the same info is also available at
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge_p3

I am presuming you meant the structure and not the numbers

[snip]

jupiter:~# hostname
jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
(shouldn't this be *just* the host name?)

yep

jupiter:~# hostname -f
jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org

my hostname produces
hufpuf

hostname -f produces
hufpuf.lan1.hme1.samad.com.au
and cat /etc/hostname
hufpuf

take it as you want

How does your /etc/hosts file read?

the relevant bits
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

192.168.11.10 hufpuf.lan1.hme1.samad.com.au

Now, I test the network configuration:

jupiter:~# ping 209.200.229.100
From 207.237.37.110 icmp_seq Destination Host Unreachable

before doing this first ping the first hop - the default gateway from
above its

ping -c 5 207.237.37.97

Yes, I can ping the gateway!
I presume this is with the 207.237.37.110 address

if that works try the dns servers

ping -c 5 207.172.3.8

No, I can't ping the DNS server
This is not 100% conclusive, they might only allow dns packets to these
servers

if that works try ping 209.200.229.100 again, but in another window do a
tcpdump -pni eth0 and see what happens to the packets

At your suggestion, I have downloaded and installed tcpdump, but I
think it's going to take me some study (well worth it, I'm sure) to
learn how to use it.

tcpdump will let you look at the packets that your network card sees, in
the example above (pinging the dns server), it will tell you if you are
getting icmp packets back, or if the packets are going and not coming
back.

[snip]

I should have mentioned that I have a broadband connection via
Ethernet to the internet through an RCN cable modem. I suspect that
this modem is proprietary, and not DOCSIS-compliant.

I should also mention that there are 2 other Windows machines
connected through this same modem. ipchicken.com reports that correct
static IP address for both of them.)

I should also mention that although I am paying RCN $20/month for my
static IP address, they would only divulge the address when I took the
matter to their "corporate escalations" department. When they finally
gave me the IP address (and the other network parameters) they
mentioned that my address was "not truly static" (while claiming that
it was the same type of address that they assign to their corporate
clients running internet servers. I don't know what "not truly
static" means, but I don't like the sound of it. Could this be at the
root of my problem.

talk to your isp, tell them your problem with the static ip address.

[snip]

Thanks & Best Regards,
Vwaju
NYC

Good luck

--
"I mean, I read the newspaper. I mean, I can tell you what the headlines are. I must confess, if I think the story is, like, not a fair appraisal, I'll move on. But I know what the story's about."

- George W. Bush
12/12/2005
Philadelphia, PA

  • Re: Strange networking problems after update 5.2.1->5.3
    ... I cannot ping it even from a host connected to the same ... My network at home is somewhat simpler (192.168.1.0/24 is local, ... is another notebook that is acting as NAT and default router). ... not even the obviously outgoing ping packets. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: How is DNS resolution working?
    ... When we did the ping, we used the FQDN ... >> This is going to get a bit complicated, so here's what the network ... >> If you look in the DNS server on machine B, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: How is DNS resolution working?
    ... When we did the ping, we used the FQDN ... >> This is going to get a bit complicated, so here's what the network ... >> If you look in the DNS server on machine B, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Cannot get IP address from Router DHCP
    ... > - I can ping both the preferred and alternate DNS servers from the ... > Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: ... > the router by typing its address on a browser but I cannot get to the ... >> What DNS server did you assign? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • strange network slowness in 2.6 unless pingflooding
    ... laptop it's all fine. ... Subject: Whacky 2.6 network behaviour ... If I ping a different host from my desktop I get no ... pingloss with 60000 byte packets (though this doesn't help with the ...
    (Linux-Kernel)