Re: can't configure networking for static IP address

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 06:37:02 +1000, Alex Samad (alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:58:01AM -0700, Vwaju wrote:

Here is my response to your helpful observations.

I edited /etc/network/interfaces to look like this:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0

# configured for DHCP during Debian installation
# iface eth0 int dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
address 207.237.37.110
netmask 255.255.255.224
network 207.237.37.96
broadcast 207.237.37.127
gateway 207.237.37.97

where did you get this info from ?

I got this from Linux System Administration (O'Reilly, 2007).
Virtually the same info is also available at
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge_p3

I am presuming you meant the structure and not the numbers

The IP address 207.237.37.110 matches that in the OP's email headers and
appears to be a static IP:
207-237-37-110.c3-0.nyr-ubr2.nyr.ny.static.cable.rcn.com

So at least that one is right.

What concerns me is that these settings are in the OP's
/etc/network/interfaces at all. I would expect to find them in the
router (or modem/router) and /etc/network/interfaces to contain only
private addresses (192.168 etc). Assuming the router is doing NAT.

[snip]

I should also mention that although I am paying RCN $20/month for my
static IP address, they would only divulge the address when I took the
matter to their "corporate escalations" department. When they finally
gave me the IP address (and the other network parameters) they
mentioned that my address was "not truly static" (while claiming that
it was the same type of address that they assign to their corporate
clients running internet servers. I don't know what "not truly
static" means, but I don't like the sound of it. Could this be at the
root of my problem.

The ISP probably means "it's a static IP, but we cannot guarantee that
you will always have the same static IP". This is not really a
contradiction in terms as the IP appears not to be listed as dynamic.

talk to your isp, tell them your problem with the static ip address.

Good advice.