Re: Emacs has hard time with big text files
- From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:29:03 -0700
On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 11:14:04AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 09/05/08 10:46, Mike McCarty wrote:
When I open big text file (46M in this case) emacs take long time for
moving cursor and editing. It takes 3-4 seconds to process every key
Is this only my case or is emacs in general sluggish with big files?
Have you looked at the output from top? You may be swapping.
Must... not... compare... emacs... to... Operating... System...
I wasn't comparing anything to anything. I don't understand
even what your objection might be.
must... resist... urge... to... say... "whoosh"...
If he's filled up memory, and the system has swapped the code
EMACS uses to move the cursor to disc, then he may be seeing
lag due to swap time to move the code in and execute it.
That might or might not slow down other applications, depending
on what cache algorithms are in effect. Keypresses don't come
I second this... look for swapping.
Description: Digital signature
- Prev by Date: Re: Emacs has hard time with big text files
- Next by Date: For Lenny: LVM, LVM+MD or just MD for mirroring?
- Previous by thread: Re: Emacs has hard time with big text files
- Next by thread: Re: Emacs has hard time with big text files