Re: Emacs has hard time with big text files

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 02:19:12PM +0200, Martin wrote:
When I open big text file (46M in this case) emacs take long time for
moving cursor and editing. It takes 3-4 seconds to process every key
press.

Is this only my case or is emacs in general sluggish with big files?

I started using vim with large files years ago when I had a problem
with emacs when I deleted 110000 lines from a file contain more than
1.2 million lines. I am not starting a flame war. I use both vim and
emacs.

After reading your message I did a quick test: I have opened a 279Mb
(2632033 lines) file in emacs and in vim. That is on a laptop with 4G
ram (64-bit system).

Emacs asked me whether I really want to open the file and after
answering 'y' it took a further 11 seconds to open it.

Vim opened the file within just over 2 seconds.

Emacs took two or three seconds when I wanted to move to the end of
the file but only the first time. After that it was as quick as I
know it in normal use.

Vim did not have any delay and moving to the end of the file was very
quick.

I am writing this message using emacs as editor.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to
stand against the wiles of the devil."
Ephesians 6:11

  • Re: Anyone use ELSE minor-mode in Emacs?
    ... > with the standard emacs keys, but I don't like to change them. ... Emacs and Vim key-bindings are pretty different, ... Vim that I was in Emacs. ... Then a Python script analyses the received email and pre-sorts it in ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Emacs has hard time with big text files
    ... moving cursor and editing. ... Is this only my case or is emacs in general sluggish with big files? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Decrypt, Edit and Encrypt a File
    ... an encrypted file. ... tools exist for both vim and emacs. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Editing a text file with sed
    ... This is, of course, assuming your files show up well in Emacs and Vim. ... Chennai - 600 036 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [Fwd: Re: HTML editor. What to use?]
    ... I always admired emacs for it's ability to run a shell within a frame of the ... However, I am one of those who prefer vim, and vim does not have this ability ... I've often considered a nice gui editor for webdesign, but each time i start to ...
    (Debian-User)