Subject: Nvidia video driver problem
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:16:00 -0500
From: Russ Cook <russcook@xxxxxxx>
To: debian amd64 <debian-amd64@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm running an amd64, with 64bit linux (Sid), with evga 8800gts graphics card.
I did apt-get update && upgrade today.
Then I downloaded latest linux source 2.6.26.5 from kernel.org, and downloaded
the latest nvidia-kernel-source using apt-get.
I compiled a custom kernel and latest nvidia-kernel-source according to procedures
outlined at http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers . I've done this before successfully,
and was running Nvidia driver before this action.
The problem is that X will not start now with the Nvidia driver. It WILL start with
the nv open source driver.
Looking in /usr/lib/xorg/modules, I have a symlink libwfb.so pointing to
libnvidia-wfb.so.100.14.11, which doesn't exist in this directory, and X complains about
it in the Xorg.log file, attached. It also complains about module type1.

Can anyone offer help or suggestions?

  • Re: Need to make sure I have the nvidia proprietary driver running.
    ... I installed the nvidia proprietary drivers in my debian 64bit laptop. ... Any change made in this section will need a server restart ... # The Driver used by Bumblebee server. ... Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: nvidia-driver rebooting machine on X startup
    ... Same driver different hw, same os version... ... FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation. ... acpi0: <Nvidia AWRDACPI> on motherboard ... Identifier "Microsoft_Natural" ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Again: the Nvidia driver does not work with Gnome 3
    ... Driver: 275.09.07 ... It's not quite the same card as yours, ... The last time I did a full install was with Fedora 10. ... Drivers from NVidia ...
    (Fedora)
  • [UNIX] NVIDIA Binary Graphics Driver for Linux Buffer Overflow
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... NVIDIA Binary Graphics Driver for Linux Buffer Overflow ... XRenderCompositeString8 which tells the X server to render glyphs onto the ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Beryl options and nvidia
    ... >>> I have beryl running with nvidia prop. ... indication that the 1.0-9629 beta driver was the first driver to ... provide support for TFP, not that the support was incomplete. ... included) who would gladly help nVidia test beta versions of your ...
    (Fedora)