Re: Lenny and testing and testing and apt

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 09:10:09 +0530, Vidyadhar Gadgil wrote:
A few days ago I installed Debian Lenny, i.e., current testing, on my
system replacing stable. It was a fresh install, not an upgrade.

Everything is functioning fine. But when I try to run netselect-apt to
find the fastest mirror, I get:

"netselect was unable to find a mirror, this probably means that
you are behind a firewall and it is blocking traceroute."

I haven't done any tinkering with firewalls, what I installed is what I
got. What is this problem?

Can you use traceroute from the command line, e.g.

traceroute ftp.se.debian.org

This should show you all the intermediate points for a connection from
your computer to the Swedish Debian mirror (napoleon.acc.umu.se). If
this does not work then maybe there will be an error message to help
us to figure out what is wrong.

Second, I used the mirrors from my stable install, so my sources.list
file has entries like this:

deb http://ftp.port80.se/debian/ lenny main contrib

Works fine. But I want to replace lenny with testing, as I want to be
permanently on testing, even after lenny becomes stable. So I replace
above with

deb http://ftp.port80.se/debian/ testing main contrib

And zilch, apt-get is not able to read the repo at all?

If ftp.port80.se is a proper mirror, then it should have "testing" as a
symlink pointing to "lenny", so your new line should work. I had a quick
look and it seems to me that ftp.port80.se/debian/ is set up correctly.
What is the exact error message that you get from "apt-get update"?

If the problem persists then I would simply switch to one of the
official mirrors:

http://www.debian.org/mirror/official

(Note: Packages in "contrib" normally require packages from "non-free"
to work, so they will be of little use to you unless you also put
"non-free" in your list.)

Florian |

  • Lenny and testing and testing and apt
    ... A few days ago I installed Debian Lenny, i.e., current testing, on my ... It was a fresh install, ... find the fastest mirror, I get: ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: debmirror: saving old release before clean-up
    ... In my case I simply set up a separate mirror for Lenny and pointed the ... pull the packages from the existing local mirror into the new lenny ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: debmirror: saving old release before clean-up
    ... upstream source to my local mirror. ... pull the packages from the existing local mirror into the new lenny ... The packages transfer very quickly since it is all local ... consumed by the lenny packages. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Help required - - DESPERATELY!!!
    ... mind I don't want to lose the data on both machines. ... I have Acronis mirror images of both backed up on a Toshiba 500GB ... If you do a fresh install on one machine, ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Upstream Mirror problem - Metadata file does not match checksum
    ... I did a fresh install of F14 and x86_64 and i386 ... then immediately did a yum update on first boot. ... The problem is not limited to F14, I've had problems on newly installed VMs running Fedora 12-16. ... Trying other mirror. ...
    (Fedora)