Re: procmail rule to filter debian-user

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@xxxxxxx>:

If you aren't wedded to procmail for some other reason, then maybe
maildrop would be more to your liking, since it has a much simpler
syntax. Here's my maildrop rule for filtering d-u mails:

{
to "Maildir/.Lists.Debian.User.2008q3"
}

For completeness, that's not much less complex (aka line noise) than
my procmail rule, and mine splits each debian list into its own mbox,
and handles newsfroup backscatter:

# ------------------------------------
# debian-${MATCH}
#
# The MATCH operator \/ matches whatever the regexp that follows
# it matches.
#
:0
* 1^0 ^X\-Mailing\-List:.*debian-\/[a-z.-]*
* 1^0 ^Newsgroups:.*debian.\/[a-z.-]*
* 1^0 ^Cc: debian-user@lists\.debian\.org
{
LOG="debian-${MATCH} - "
:0:
00.debian
}

I've been recommending noobs try maildrop first for years. Procmail
may be a howitzer where a shiv is needed. :-)

  • Re: Client "daemon" for sorting e-mail via IMAP
    ... Use maildrop. ... For someone not already using Procmail, though, that ... Postfix) keep a copy of all email that passes through them. ... I'm not entirely sure how privacy laws come into play here, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: procmail rule to filter debian-user
    ... If you aren't wedded to procmail for some other reason, ... Here's my maildrop rule for filtering d-u mails: ... then you log to mailingl ist specific log files with ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: procmail x maildrop
    ... I like maildrop, although I've never used procmail! ... filtering syntax easy to use, and I know that you can do some complex ... Procmail's filter syntax looks ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Client "daemon" for sorting e-mail via IMAP
    ... Use maildrop. ... Like procmail but safer. ... If something somewhere drops the ball I can always go to my mail backup account and recover the mail item. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Found: excellent procmail HOWTO
    ... I found a good HOWTO also. ... :) I spent a whole day trying to get procmail ... then gave up and set up maildrop in half an hour. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)