Re: How do I install older software versions?

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 23:12 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
I wonder:

1) What happens with older versions? Where do they go?
2) How do I install older versions?

Thanks in advance!

It would be good to read APT How-To (search for it by your favourite internet search
engine), then you will be better understand Debian's repository system and apt.

I already did that (+ lots of other material including the Debian bible
and "Debian concepts and techniques"). Anyhow I didn't find any info on
this topic. That's why I asked here.

I want to add that I am familiar with apt pinning and forcing an older
version. The problem is that older versions disappear from mirrors
pretty quickly leaving you with no option to install an older version
(apt-cache is imo not a reliable method).

I also tried Debian snapshot, but this site provided me only with very
old versions (stable?) and nothing from the testing branch. Moreover I'm
looking for an officially supported way to install older versions.

Regards,

Aniruddha

    ... > newsgroup for Debian ... > forward to install to your hard drive. ... > to install the Cygwin stuff on all my Windows boxes. ... like in an SSH client like PuTTY ?? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2014 #1074
    ... checking the full error correction data. ... the devs and the users in debian is entirely inappropriate, ... Some packages could not be installed. ... I have just tried to install vlc on this laptop. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: mouse
    ... I will give it a whirl ASAP. ... Is icew part of the debian install or is it from off the web? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Installing an Alternative Init?
    ... Allowing the user to choose this at install time from the interface is ... It makes Debian seem partial to Red ... I meant that one vendor seeks to control the Linux ecosystem. ... You can still use the software after you stop paying for it in commercial distribution, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Grub ... updating kernels
    ... I've been making and breaking 4 or 5 different Debian ... reinstalled one on an EXTERNAL hard drive for the first time. ... entirety of my setup at the moment of that particular install. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)