Re: How do I install older software versions?

Aniruddha wrote:

Coming from Gentoo I'm trying to understand how I should install older
software versions in testing/unstable. Take for example the ATI drivers.
In Gentoo's portage lots of versions are available. In APT I see only
one. I wonder:

1) What happens with older versions? Where do they go?

The newer versions replace the older versions in testing.

2) How do I install older versions?

If you have the .deb files in the cache (/var/cache/apt/archives) then you
can try to install the .deb files directly using the "dpkg -i" command. You
can also do something like

sudo apt-get install package=version

if the package is available in the cache (or in some other repository).

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

  • Re: How do I install older software versions?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: writing Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji with a US keyboard
    ... sudo apt-get install ibus-anthy (on Squeeze or Wheezy) ... keyboard a major help or can a US keyboard work alright. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: A question for the list:
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [APT] how to debug "Hash Sum mismatch"?