Re: How do I install older software versions?

Aniruddha wrote:

Coming from Gentoo I'm trying to understand how I should install older
software versions in testing/unstable. Take for example the ATI drivers.
In Gentoo's portage lots of versions are available. In APT I see only
one. I wonder:

1) What happens with older versions? Where do they go?

The newer versions replace the older versions in testing.

2) How do I install older versions?

If you have the .deb files in the cache (/var/cache/apt/archives) then you
can try to install the .deb files directly using the "dpkg -i" command. You
can also do something like

sudo apt-get install package=version

if the package is available in the cache (or in some other repository).

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi