Re: How do I install older software versions?

On Sunday 28 Sep 2008, Aniruddha wrote:
On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 21:03 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
If you have the .deb files in the cache (/var/cache/apt/archives) then
you can try to install the .deb files directly using the "dpkg -i"
command. You can also do something like

sudo apt-get install package=version

if the package is available in the cache (or in some other repository).

The problem is that when you need an package that you haven't installed
before, the package it isn't in cache (the same goes for a fresh testing
install). Moreover an accidental apt clean could easily wipe out your
careful build up cache.

Is it possible to have a local copy of an apt mirror? I have 5 machines
that can sync with a local apt-mirror and that way I can have better
version control.

I use debmirror to maintain a local mirror of lenny binaries. You need to be
careful about how much you choose to mirror or you'll end up with an
extremely large bandwidth/storage requirement. My local mirror is about
20GB.

Jim

  • RE: a little confused...
    ... What does the Program setting inside the package look like? ... "ryan" wrote: ... At the adv start time it will check to see if it has the package in cache, ... was that it would automatically run through the install of the executable. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.swdist)
  • debootstrapping via knoppix, and what next?
    ... I am still continuing my quest for a debootstrapping system that works; ... couldn't get me going from a local mirror. ... don't trust that it will stay up long enough to do a full install, ... I should be able to knoppix-installer it and then, I believe, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How do I install older software versions?