Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

On Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 19:47:40 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:

Still, I do have to take bug reports and I have to smile sweetly as I
do because those reports come from clients who are paying me enough per
month that I have to keep them a bit more than happy. If someone can't
handle bug reports, then they shouldn't be dealing with those who file
them.

While this is a nice anecdote I can't help feeling that the more
you bring random stories into this thread the less likely people
are to pay attention, and listen.

Your original issue was:

"Reported bug. Didn't get a useful response".

That is unfortunate, and I'd like to believe atypical.

Regardless the point has been made, and people from both sides have
basically agreed that this is unfortunate, and that we as developers
should do better at handling bugs. Also that users should be expected
to be patient, and polite. Ideally giving followup etc.

Attempting to sidetrack us with irrelevancies such as your own
personal business, how bug-free your code is, and similar is
not useful.

Steve