Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

On Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 19:47:40 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:

Still, I do have to take bug reports and I have to smile sweetly as I
do because those reports come from clients who are paying me enough per
month that I have to keep them a bit more than happy. If someone can't
handle bug reports, then they shouldn't be dealing with those who file
them.

While this is a nice anecdote I can't help feeling that the more
you bring random stories into this thread the less likely people
are to pay attention, and listen.

Your original issue was:

"Reported bug. Didn't get a useful response".

That is unfortunate, and I'd like to believe atypical.

Regardless the point has been made, and people from both sides have
basically agreed that this is unfortunate, and that we as developers
should do better at handling bugs. Also that users should be expected
to be patient, and polite. Ideally giving followup etc.

Attempting to sidetrack us with irrelevancies such as your own
personal business, how bug-free your code is, and similar is
not useful.

Steve

  • [Un] Unangband 0.6.1 beta 6 released
    ... I\'ve had lots of bug reports and feedback, as well as a winning character since ... if the value on the damage dice roll is less ... Fixed bug when describing sense item effect. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)
  • Re: kernel bugzilla is FPOS (was: Re: "buggy cmd640" message followed by soft lockup)
    ... Andrew is going through all new bug reports. ... People like Natalie or me also go through new bug reports. ... You can always ask on the list, pointing to the Bugzilla entry in question. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Delphi makes it to digg!
    ... No, I don't mean here 'names', but from our small experience we found that the best 'field test' is the one who have users from all user levels: ... someone will send you good reports from graphics area. ... for the community to identify and promote issues into the internal bug ... community to use QC, it needs to clearly know that they will have something to gain from there. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: kernel bugzilla is FPOS (was: Re: "buggy cmd640" message followed by soft lockup)
    ... Andrew is going through all new bug reports. ... People like Natalie or me also go through new bug reports. ... area without a maintainer looking after the bug. ... You can always ask on the list, pointing to the Bugzilla entry in question. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • BDS needs more bugs fixed
    ... none of the reports I have been interested in have ever been fixed. ... Near the top of this page they have a section "Higher Performance and Better Quality" that says "Over 500 bug reports tracked by our internal system have been fixed in this release. ... Furthermore, the user who reported the problem was still using BCB 6, and he didn't get an update or hotfix, so this issue is not resolved for him unless he pays for an update to BDS 2006 and installs update 2. ... it is a fix for a cosmetic issue only. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)