AW: Cannot login to Debian Lenny

Thanks for your quick reply.

I called in single user mode 'add user test' with the following output:

Adding user ...
Adding ...
Copying files from '/etc/skel'
Passwd: Permission denied
Passwd: password unchanged
Try again [y/N] n (yes: same again)
Chfn: PAM authentification failed
Adduser: '/usr/bin/chfn test' returned error code 1. Exiting.

Here is /etc/pam.d/chfn:
#
# The PAM configuration file for the Shadow `chfn' service
#

# This allows root to change user infomation without being
# prompted for a password
auth sufficient pam_rootok.so

# The standard Unix authentication modules, used with
# NIS (man nsswitch) as well as normal /etc/passwd and
# /etc/shadow entries.
@include common-auth
@include common-account
@include common-session

Just to complete it. The three files included:

#
# /etc/pam.d/common-account - authorization settings common to all services
#
# This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files,
# and should contain a list of the authorization modules that define
# the central access policy for use on the system. The default is to
# only deny service to users whose accounts are expired in /etc/shadow.
#
account required pam_unix.so

#
# /etc/pam.d/common-auth - authentication settings common to all services
#
# This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files,
# and should contain a list of the authentication modules that define
# the central authentication scheme for use on the system
# (e.g., /etc/shadow, LDAP, Kerberos, etc.). The default is to use the
# traditional Unix authentication mechanisms.
#
#auth required pam_env.so
auth required pam_unix.so nullok_secure

#
# /etc/pam.d/common-session - session-related modules common to all services
#
# This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files,
# and should contain a list of modules that define tasks to be performed
# at the start and end of sessions of *any* kind (both interactive and
# non-interactive). The default is pam_unix.
#
session required pam_unix.so

Cheers,
Torsten