Re: Xorg - nv - 8600GT blank screen problem.

Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
I am having issues with my new video card MSI 8600GT. Xorg fires up properly and everything is fine as long as I am within X. The moment
I try to switch one of the VCs (c-a-f1/2 etc) or exit X, all I get is blank screen and no response from KB/mouse etc. Soon the monitor goes into power save. The only way to fix is reboot. Occasionally, I will see blank screen with X running having very similar syptoms.

I have noticed that Xorg runs with almost 100% cpu utilization whenever blank screen event happens. Also, with my prior card I did not have this problem (prior card was EVGA nvidia 7600GS)

I run stock etch kenel from amd64 distribution latest xorg with nv driver. Here is exact info

uname -a: Linux lata 2.6.18-4-amd64 #1 SMP Fri May 4 00:37:33 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Package: xserver-xorg-video-nv : Version: 1:2.0.3-1
Package: xorg: Version: 1:7.1.0-19

You probably need to think about a different driver. The nvidia-* packages might be a place to start.

Or, if you want to be a bit risky, the nvidia driver from NVIDA's web site works well. The risk is that it is not installed "The Debian Way", and future Debian updates may break it, possibly causing a problem, or causing you to need to reinstall it. Also, it is finicky about which version of gcc used to compile the kernel interface (NVIDIA's driver comes as a a binary blob, and it's non-free in the Debian sense, because there is no source). You need to keep the version of gcc used to compile your current running kernel, to use it. It must be reinstalled with every kernel ABI change, as well. But it works pretty well.

Mark Allums

  • module via-rhine for woody (3.0) using both onboard LANs on a VIA-EPIA mini-ITX CL1000 motherboard
    ... preferably not even going for a backports.org kernel upgrade so as to ... be sure that debian security upgrades would keep working for me. ... the driver for the dual port VT6103/6105 ethernet controller ... So you have to compile your own new ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Missing Edgeport USB driver in recent kernels
    ... I recently reinstalled Debian Lenny on my computer and in the process updated the kernel to 2.6.22. ... Why was this driver left out from the newer kernels? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: kernel? 2.4.x vs 2.6.x
    ... > Im about a month into my first debian system and Im fairly new to linux ... > compile a new kernel and then compile the driverfrom ... this fails w.o custom kernel and I couldn't get syskonnects ... > driver to compile at all which googling suggested) This was all a good ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Xfree setup: does AGP require anything special?
    ... > Doing a bit of advocay, I've managed to convince a friend to try Debian ... > If I could get the damn thing to work with even the vesa driver, ... Also, go ahead and send in the config files (X and kernel), dmesg, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: NIC Detection Problem
    ... Welcome to Debian! ... uses the '8139too' driver and not the 'via-rhine' driver as you ... > module to kernel in debian after setup and/or while ... At installation time the installer will prompt you with the 'modconf' ...
    (Debian-User)