Re: cups-pdf

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:00:47 +0100
Chris <list.hurschler@xxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 03 November 2008, Michael Iatrou wrote:
When the date was Sunday 02 November 2008, Chris wrote:
On Sunday 02 November 2008, Michael Iatrou wrote:
When the date was Sunday 02 November 2008, Chris wrote:
I am getting very poor results printing to pdf from Firefox, it seems
to have worked better in the past. Changing the settings for image
resolution does not help.

Have you tried printing to Postscript and the converting it to pdf
using ps2pdfwr?

They look equally bad. I would attach a file to this email, but I think
lots of list subscribers would not appreciate that.

Take a screenshot, save it as png, upload it to imagebin.org and post a
link.

--
Michael Iatrou (mrlj)

ok. The first image is a fragment of a payment form from Ebay, the text is
unreadable

http://imagebin.org/30257

the second image

http://imagebin.org/30259

is a printout of the website

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/

the text is also mangled in this image,

Thanks for any help you can give me. It used to work fine. I am running an
up to date Lanny system.

Chris

I had a very similar problem recently, which Florian helped me to solve
(with great patience and graciousness). The thread begins here:

I believe that the steps that solved the problem for me were installing
ttf-liberation (and then restarting X), and disabling bitmaps in
fontconfig-config.

C. Hurschler

Celejar

  • Re: Printer for linux?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: cups-pdf
    ... Have you tried printing to Postscript and the converting it to pdf using ... "I won't have to worry about putting gas in my car, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Printer for linux?
    ... I should think this is an oft asked question, but since the printer market seems to move at a rapier like pace, thought it ok to ask again for any recent experiences. ... I have no experience at all of printing with linux, and the couple of HOWTOs I've looked at suggest to me it's rarely a simple matter to get things up and running. ... My potted understanding is that unix/linux applications generally output postscript formatted data for printing and since Joe Public can't afford a postcript capable printer, postscript interpreters have been developed which sit in between postscript data streams and non postscript printers. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • DRM PDFs
    ... even though my web searches don't reveal anything but Adobe promises and work-arounds involving printing to postscript on a windows box first - but is there software for linux to read DRM pdfs? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?