Re: Reinstalling Packages after Rebuilding System with Etch

Martin McCormick wrote:
I tried the upgrade route first and it went about as painlessly
as one could hope on one system. That system is the least
important one to me so I did the upgrade on it first.

Then it was time to upgrade another which is a little
more important and it has almost gone okay except for the
following:

Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/etch/non-US/Release
.gpg Could not resolve 'non-us.debian.org'
Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/etch/non-US/main/bi
nary-i386/Packages.gz Could not resolve 'non-us.debian.org'
Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/etch/non-US/contrib
/binary-i386/Packages.gz Could not resolve 'non-us.debian.org'
Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/etch/non-US/non-fre
e/binary-i386/Packages.gz Could not resolve 'non-us.debian.org'
Reading package lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org etch/non-US/main P
ackages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_etch_non-US_ma
in_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org etch/non-US/contri
b Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_etch_non-US
_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org etch/non-US/non-fr
ee Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_etch_non-U
S_non-free_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used
instead.

Well, that's not exactly a full update so I tried it
again several times with the same results. It makes me wonder if
my sources.list file is good. Here it is:

#deb file:///cdrom/ etch main

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US etch/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org etch/updates main contrib non-free

It is the non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US etch/non-US main contrib non-free

line that appears to be giving trouble.

When I get it working, can I just re-run apt-get update
and then apt-get dist-upgrade to finish the job?

Thanks.

Martin McCormick

Non-us repository went away since sarge or etch, IIRC. Remove it from your
sources.list.

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian APT contributor