cannot boot after update

Hello,
I run debian etchnhalf 4.0r5a AMD64.
I just installed a new desktop system (std and desktop packages). Since then i have done very little to add to it. Just installed foo2qpdl for my printer and also dvdrip from debian multimedia.
Once in gnome i was informed of some new updated packages, so i did the update. However i cannot recall which packages were in there.

Since the update, i now cannot boot into the system anymore. Symptoms are as follows:

- display switches from normal 80x25 into framebuffer type higher resolution mode during boot where as before it didn't change to framebuffer.
- will not show xserver, but monitor stays on with just backlight black screen.
- I cannot change consoles using ctrl+alt+F1 or whatever.
- tried booting using vga=normal at grub prompt but didn't make a difference -> it still switches to framebuffer higher resolution display during boot and then crashes.

This also occurred the other day (wednesday) to my previous debian installation, which was etch 4.0r5 AMD64 (normal etch but updated to etchnhalf kernel), i think also after a recommended update.

Any ideas?

My hardware is as follows:

Phenom 3 8450
2Gb ram
ATI radeon X300 PCIe card
gigabyte ga-ma770-s3 mobo

If you need some logs or whatever, i can try to boot with live cd to access them and then i can post.

Thanks,

Simon

    ... debian wrote: ... I could boot with the linux rescue cd and mount my /dev/sda1 ... But how is that possible if the installation recognized the disk and ... I also tried in raid 0 without the second disk but it remains the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Trying to boot Lenny after installation
    ... Hi, I'm new to Debian and haven't posted to a mailing list for years so I hope I've posted to the right place, please point me in the right direction if not:)! ... But when I try to boot into Lenny for the first time ... have read the official Debian Lenny installation guide which states ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Why Debian
    ... Ubuntu uses Unity as default DE, ... If you choose a standard Debian installation, you will have a lot of crap you will probably never need, depending on your hardware. ... With my usual aptitude, I have to download keys to make external repositories trusted, or to say "yes, I trust that package" at each upgrade/installation of the external packages. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [R] How to install R 2.2.0 Debian unstable package in otherwise sarge system
    ... This is package r-base version 2.2.0 and is in the debian ... This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential ... > Reading Package Lists... ... > The following extra packages will be installed: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] suse 10.3 beta1 64-bit dvd problem
    ... just not boot from it. ... with this dvd. ... already installed Opensuse 10.2 x86-64 as base for the installation. ... During the dependendy check of the installed rpms it shows 27 packages ...
    (SuSE)