Re: Debian way to set up iptables rules?

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:59:54PM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
Hi.

Which is the default/designated way in Debian to set up iptables rules
on system boot?

I mean the /etc/init.d scripts is long gone... ;)

Thanks,
Chris.

I used to use iptables, until I found Shorewall. It's a completely
configuration file driver implementation of iptables, but it makes
writing the rules so much easier. You just have to give it information
about your interfaces, and ports you use, and shorewall really handles
the rest.

I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want a GUI firewall, but doesn't
want to configure iptables manually.

Edit: I resent this message because something went wrong with the
last...I have no clue what happened.

--
Follow my Tweets at http://twitter.com/pobega
Or read my blog @ http://pobega.wordpress.com

AIM:BlockMeHarder MSN:pobega@xxxxxxxxx JIM:pobega@xxxxxxx
SIP:pobega@xxxxxxxxx ICQ:467047394

  • Re: Firewall - Very limited Access - suggestions
    ... >>GuardDog, Shorewall, etc. should all be considered as learning tools. ... >>substitute for writing your own iptables rules. ... Shorewall is not a GUI to use as a learning tool... ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Starting iptables
    ... this all begs the question of what Shorewall is really trying to ... I would think that the point of these firewall tools would be to ... get around the rather difficult process of figuring out iptables. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Starting iptables
    ... gateway, which mine isn't, than firewalling itself. ... get around the rather difficult process of figuring out iptables. ... shorewall seems to simply replace the very archaic and tricky ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: iptables rules
    ... Yeah I was just fiddling around with this myself last night actually on ... Subject: iptables rules ... mark "trying it tomorrow" ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Forwarding to mail server : problem accessing from local network
    ... I will study again kerrocher's iptables rules, but I don't think I have ... I would rather think that "amd64" doesn't accept response from ... partir d'un poste sur Internet. ... I thougth my forwarding iptables rules were wrong on local network. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)