Re: Which programming Language

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Someone has a python compiler (*.py to an executable)? Yes, I know that
python *.py modules get "compiled" into *.pyc byte-code but that still
has to go through the python interpreter. Also, what happens in 10
years when I want to make a slight change to a program?

Yeah, both perl [1] and python [2] now have compilers (to executable,
not to bytecode) out there. You (obviously) lose the
platform-independence with this. It seems like most of them are a
little clunky -- they wind up importing part of the relevant
interpreter, so I don't know if the resulting executable would run any
faster.

In 10 years, if you want to change the program, you need to change the
source and recompile, just like with C. The issue is just that the
language is still changing, so there's no guarantee that any compiler
for new hardware will recognize your old language conventions.
That'll throw up the same roadblocks whether you compile a standalone
executable or stick with the interpreted plaintext script file.

[1] http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=186402
[2] http://effbot.org/pyfaq/how-can-i-create-a-stand-alone-binary-from-a-python-script.htm

  • Re: String to int conversion
    ... an interpreter produces its results by some other means. ... if it *was* converted in chunks into actual machine code to be ... compiler available. ... in order to execute however many lines exist in the script. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Build your own Forth for Microchip PIC (Episode 837)
    ... the unreasonablly small hardware stack size for my particular target. ... You are handcuffed in the sense that you would like to be able to download small amounts of code into ram and execute it. ... because once you do away with the inner interpreter, ... An optimizing compiler isn't a post-processor, it's an *alternative* to another kind of compiler. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: thought: "Mini-x86"...
    ... not implement the entire x86 ISA to be able to use the compiler output). ... from my interpreter effort that eflags is a hassle. ... essentially serve as a cautionary hint to a translator). ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Seed7 - what is it? What does it do?
    ... The language you use influences the way you are thinking. ... Seed7 is statically typed (which in most languages is a virtual guarantee ... The interpreter does not use bytecode. ... Interpreter and compiler are tools ...
    (comp.lang.misc)
  • Re: String to int conversion
    ... byte code could be interpreted (though I don't know of any such interpreter). ... be converted to the equivalent set of native machine code. ... In ASP, in fact, it is the byte code form of a compiled ASP page that is ... calls the compiler and then passes the byte-code buffer returned from the ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)