Re: Will installing libc6-i686 on my i586 crunch my installation?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 02:33:52PM +0100, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for bothering you again :-/

It really depends on what you want. If you want to stick to Sarge
(which may be sensible on a system with only 24 MB RAM), you should
point your sources.list to it, i.e. use
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free

Thanks for the tip, already did that.

and downgrade packages to their Sarge version.
Whats the best way of doing that?
I already googled a lot, but I don't see how pinning could help in my case :-/

The problem for now is, when I e.g. try to install ssh with "apt-get
install", apt reports a lot of packages can't be installed because
they depend on libc6 > 2.3.2 which is marked to be not installed.

apt-get -f install tells me it would remove half of my system
(including apache, postgres, ...).

It seems very strange if the ssh package you are trying to install is in
Sarge, for it to want to pull in something that is not in Sarge. You
should probably send us your entire sources.list.

The best way to sort out problems is with aptitude's visual mode.

Doug.

    ... > I ran the Sarge install to make a dual boot system yesterday. ... > I don't know much about Bios but this struck me as odd, ... > You could also remove the old apache package later on. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: New server: Sarge or Etch?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problems with debian install
    ... >>to install debian on a number of machines in a computer ... For Sarge, the number of CDs will be even larger once it is ... Set it up to get packages from a ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Software For Book Writing
    ... ram is sufficient". ... The above comparation between sarge and lenny was on the same beige G3 ... but the install manual usually has such ...
    (Debian-User)
  • /etc/apt/preferences problem - might cause problems when Sarge goes stable!
    ... Firestarter from unstable into my testing install of Sarge. ... A few moments ago I updated my sources.list in preparation for Sarge ... deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free ... were listed fine under Installed Packages. ...
    (Debian-User)