Re: Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 released (fwd)

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 02:48:55AM +0900, Bret Busby wrote:

Hello.

In the message below, is the part

"In addition to the regular installation media, Debian GNU/Linux can now
also be directly used without prior installation. The special images
used, known as live images, are available for CDs, USB sticks, and
netboot setups. Initially, these are provided for the amd64 and i386
architectures only."

I have been to the Debian web site, and the web page at
http://www.debian.org/distrib/ , does not include any reference to "live
images", that can be run without being installed.

That web page, with the heading and title, "Getting Debian", refers only
to installable versions of Debian 5. It says
"If you simply want to install Debian, these are your options:"
but no mention is made, of anything like
"If you want to run Debian without installing it, you do this:"

I note that the paragraph above, from the announcement message below,
saya that the "live images" are special images, indicating that they are
not the same as standard installable images.

Are "live images" of Debian 5, available?

If so, how do we get them?

Thank you in anticipation.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0-live/

or any of the mirrors that hold CD images.

You'll get a .iso file which you'll need to burn to a blank CD.

HTH,

AndyC

--
Bret Busby