Re: Java in Debian 5

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:31:27AM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:

If you choose to use Java programs, you'll obviously need Java for them.
But Debian doesn't come with anything that requires a Java interpreter
out of the box, so no, you can happily run Debian 5.0 without Java.

If you install the desktop task you also get OpenOffice.org that depends
on a Java JRE.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@xxxxxxxxxx | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's

  • Whats the best way to upgrade java??
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Sun/Oracle Java
    ... manually built the installation package for Debian. ... On Wheezy you can make a debian package of the latest java. ... Use dpkg -i to install the debian package. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: A better syntax highlighting color scheme for Ruby code on Vim?
    ... } I've found the typical "xterm/konsole" window on Linux systems is often ... } unreadable with a white background and the typical Linux text color ... Yea, verily, I'm a fan of Debian defaults in general. ... The fly in Debian's ointment was their disdain for Java. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Java lib packages
    ... Debian or are using the Debian build and distribution network (contrib/non- ...  Java applications in main with priority optional/extra are just as ... the lib-java stuff makes up the JRE for Java apps in Debian? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Enquiry related to Debian Usage and Features.