Re: Java in Debian 5

2009/2/22 Bret Busby <bret@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Adrian Levi wrote:

2009/2/21 Bret Busby <bret@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:31:27AM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
If you install the desktop task you also get OpenOffice.org that depends
on a Java JRE.

So, to use Open Office, Java is needed?

I understood that Open Office could be run without Java, unless a person
wanted to use the Open Office database.

If you install a desktop task then the openoffice.org meta package is
installed and that depends on all of the openoffice packages which
also depends on a java JDK.

You can install the openoffice items separately thereby not requiring
Java to be installed.

Adrian

Which is yet another reason that many of us want them to reinstate Star
Office 5.2.

It was far superior to Open Office, and, did not require Java, unless the
database was to be used, from memory, although I had had a database running
in at least one version of Star Office 5.x, without Java.

But you can use Openoffice.org without java but for Base, even then
IIRC it's only used for some of the functionality

I found a feally good link [1] that describes exactly what Java
provides in the different components of openoffice.org

aptitude show openoffice.org-writer

<snipped>
Depends: openoffice.org-core (= 1:2.4.1-17+b1), openoffice.org-base-core (=
1:2.4.1-17+b1), libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libicu38 (>=
3.8-5), libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libwpd8c2a, libwps-0.1-1, libxml2 (>=
2.6.27), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Recommends: openoffice.org-filter-binfilter, java-gcj-compat | openjdk-6-jre |
sun-java5-jre | sun-java6-jre, openoffice.org-java-common (>
2.2.0-4), openoffice.org-writer2latex, openoffice.org-emailmerge
Suggests: openoffice.org-gcj, openoffice.org-base
Conflicts: openoffice.org-debian-files, openoffice.org-java-common (<= 1:2.3.1),
openoffice.org2-writer (< 1:2.4.1-17+b1)
Replaces: openoffice.org (< 1.9), openoffice.org-common (< 1:2.3.1),
openoffice.org-debian-files, openoffice.org2-writer (< 1:2.4.1-17+b1)
Provides: openoffice.org2-writer

If you have issues with Java 'tainting' your system then power to you,
but both Staroffice and Java were invented by Sun Microsystems then
released to the community freely. Open JDK is a completely free
implementation of Java that satisfies the DSFG.
I really don't see what your grumble is.

Adrian

[1]http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Java_and_OpenOffice.org

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

  • Re: If i download latest OE6 updates, will it update OE also ?
    ... Script Debugging Problem ... Where to get the JAVA VM ... Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in ... It may, however, be Shockwave Flash related, try the following: ...
  • Re: Microsoft websites screw up IE6(SP2)
    ... I won't get involved in the horrible java mess between MS and Sun. Let them ... > At this point I'm not sure if I agree that the fault lies with SP2. ... > websites compatible with Windows XP Home, which is what I'm running, ... >> JVM for IE (in install), or after install via the JavaPlugin control ...
  • Re: Page Cannot be Displayed
    ... Script Debugging Problem ... Where to get the JAVA VM ... Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in ... It may, however, be Shockwave Flash related, try the following: ...
  • Re: Blaze Find Tool Bar
    ... Kathleen - Here's some help about installing/reinstalling a Java VM: ... Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in ... >> programs report as spyware. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Your browser does not support Java