Re: Java in Debian 5

2009/2/22 Celejar <celejar@xxxxxxxxx>:

I was actually surprised by the fact that I apparently had a bunch of
java stuff marked as manually installed. I run aptitude without
automatic installation of recommends, and I have no idea when I would
have marked stuff like 'libxom-java' or 'bsh' (BeanShell) as manually
installed, since I'm not a java dev.

Stuff tends to build up over time. It happens under linux but nowhere
at the speed that I used to find the same thing happening under
Windows.

I have nothing against it, since it's FLOSS, but I'd rather not have a
bunch of stuff on my system for functionality that I don't use. And
with the greatness that's Debian, if I ever *do* need it, it's only a
quick and easy 'aptitude install' away.

Isn't that the truth :-)

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

  • A good Java installation package can make things much easier
    ... Following the configuration habit of Java, ... the installation deployment of report designer ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.olap)
  • Re: Java Control Panel Folder Empty - Cannot Uninstall Java 6 Upda
    ... I was able to delete the ghost file from my add/remove programs. ... Tried reinstalling Java but I received the same messages that I ... Windows section, download the 'second' file. ... directions for installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Tuesday 3rd April update wont work
    ... Uninstall the IBM java package from Add/Remove Programs. ... One must uncheck it in order to prevent it's installation. ... Wuweb is for Windows Update, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: SMP/E GIM69222S SMPJHOME vs. Java version
    ... In a recent note, McKown, John said: ... Is there not a symbolic link that is ... I have the following Java jdk's installed: ... why couldn't you put that in the installation documentation? ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Tuesday 3rd April update wont work
    ... I *highly* doubt that the system will be prompted to download another java package as there will be none installed at that point. ... One must uncheck it in order to prevent it's installation. ... Wuweb is for Windows Update, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)