how does GRUB read from /boot on software-RAID partition?

Some articles about GRUB and md-based RAID1 (mirroring) seem to imply that GRUB
can read files (including the kernel and the initrd file) from /boot on the
filesystem on a mirrored partition.

Since GRUB hasn't loaded the kernel file yet, GRUB can't be using the kernel
and its md driver, and therefore can't be reading the partition _as_a_RAID_
_volume_ (/dev/mdX), right?

So is GRUB just reading the partition directly to get to the file system?

Specifically, is GRUB taking advantage of the fact that the RAID metadata is
written at the end of a partition that is a component of a RAID volume (and
that a file system doesn't care if the block device it's in actually contains
more blocks than the filesystem knows about)?

If so, how reliable is that?

Should one put /boot on a plain, non-RAID partition on one disk and somehow
(manually or automatically) maintain a backup /boot partition on the second
disk, or is it fine to put /boot on a mirrored partition (so maintaining
redundancy is automatic) and let GRUB read the partition directly?

Thanks,
Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: booting linux using a floppy
    ... which kernel of the list to boot from. ... Note that this will at this point remove your ability to boot into windows. ... I think I recall that you said the grub loader... ... and grub will search for a partition containing grub's stage2 file ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade
    ... GRUB stage1. ... The stage1 goes in boot sector of system root partition. ... sda6=/1st SUSE install ... and kernel as defined for selected menu item. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: LiILO in eigener kleiner Boot-Partition?
    ... (falls der Kernel eine initrd benutzt). ... Die beiden anderen Werte hängen vom zu bootenden Linux ab. ... und diese initrd zusammen mit LILO oder GRUB und wohin kommen dann die ... /boot Partition plaziert werden sollen? ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Grub config
    ... > so I created a logical partition and installed it there. ... > I've tried various combinations of telling grub where to find these ... > things, with the explicit partition for kernel and initrd, and fiddling ... install grub onto your system. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Grub Manual
    ... I have digested what you all have said and applied it to the small file I wrote on the Grub Manual. ... Please no more about what is root. ... Many people keep the entire Linux in one partition and in that case both of the root point to the same partition. ... Your computer often wants to use the name of the kernel. ...
    (Fedora)