Re: package management begins to annoy me

Ron Johnson wrote:

Yes, you're using aptitude. Return to the apt* which God intended us to
use: apt-get.

Whaa?!??! Wait a sec. This just an unsubstantiated claim.

Since I learned about aptitude (a few years ago?), I have been using it
consistently. It gives more information than apt-get and, as this poster
implied, has not misbehaved at all as compared to apt-get. So, as Boyd
has suggested, ignore this poster on this.

To the OP: you are probably doing something wrong with your sources.list
(did you ever change it after installation?). It would be a good
starting point to see what are its contents and if there is anything
fishy over there.

Once that is done, I would post here what aptitude shows you it wants to
do and ask if there anything amiss.

Regards.

ever having been read.

  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Packages temporarily disappearing from Testing/Lenny
    ... I use aptitude exclusively, and I've never managed to get it to pull ... in recommended packages. ... aptitude is not 'apt-get' but I'd hope much of the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: package management begins to annoy me
    ... have a point about apparent simplicity regarding apt-get, ... In this situation I am really happy that aptitude is ... In the same situation apt-get often just can't get through, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: stable to testing: aptitude wants strange things
    ... apt-get turns out to be mostly the same. ... Now both apt-get and aptitude want to remove aptitude. ... The following packages will be REMOVED: ... modconf openssl python-central python-minimal python-support ...
    (Debian-User)