Re: BSD handbook - was Re: debiantutorials.org seeks input and new blood

Well, the thing about FBSD is that it's users are pretty much all
hobbyists, so the length of a manual is a good thing. If Debian had
documentation of equal or greater length I can only see that as a
strength, not a weakness.
If you count folks like Yahoo as hobbyists.

Last time I looked, the FreeBSD community was heavier on academics and IT professionals than hobbyists. For that matter, if you look at the latest Netcraft survey of most reliable hosting sites (http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2009/04/01/most_reliable_hosting_company_sites_in_march_2009.html) - you'll see an awful lot of FreeBSD as well.

I haven't used BSD for about 30 years, now, and a good reference book, that is comprehensive, is a good incentive to have another go with it.
Unless you've used a Mac recently - most of it's userland code comes from BSD.

Miles Fidelman

note: I should mention that I run Debian on my servers - I'd be hard-pressed to find a more convenient packaging system. But I have a lot of respect for the BSD world.

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

  • Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)
    ... We do that among Debian ... Those who are most impacted are sys admins of servers, and upstream developers - the two communities most impacted, but that seem to have no say in the matter. ... there is no difference between theory and practice. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Q: List Policy
    ... These special people also wrote the Debian ... Debian list rules exist to codify best practice in list poster ... They deserve respect. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: which debian i should install?
    ... but i am not able to decide which debian? ... i dont understand the computer jargon.i cannot install it via internet or through any network. ... there is no difference between theory and practice. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Lets have a vote!
    ... Lee why are you even here complaining about Debian - You've admitted ... > And does that apply to folks who use every post to whine about topics they don't want other people to talk about? ... there is no difference between theory and practice. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Do not reboot on system error - how?