Re: BSD handbook - was Re: debiantutorials.org seeks input and new blood

Well, the thing about FBSD is that it's users are pretty much all
hobbyists, so the length of a manual is a good thing. If Debian had
documentation of equal or greater length I can only see that as a
strength, not a weakness.
If you count folks like Yahoo as hobbyists.

Last time I looked, the FreeBSD community was heavier on academics and IT professionals than hobbyists. For that matter, if you look at the latest Netcraft survey of most reliable hosting sites (http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2009/04/01/most_reliable_hosting_company_sites_in_march_2009.html) - you'll see an awful lot of FreeBSD as well.

I haven't used BSD for about 30 years, now, and a good reference book, that is comprehensive, is a good incentive to have another go with it.
Unless you've used a Mac recently - most of it's userland code comes from BSD.

Miles Fidelman

note: I should mention that I run Debian on my servers - I'd be hard-pressed to find a more convenient packaging system. But I have a lot of respect for the BSD world.

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

    (Debian-User)
  • Re: which debian i should install?
    ... but i am not able to decide which debian? ... i dont understand the computer jargon.i cannot install it via internet or through any network. ... there is no difference between theory and practice. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Do not reboot on system error - how?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Musings on debian-user list
    ... I've been running headless Debian servers for years, never used anything but a command line to manage them. ... Now, if I used Debian for my desktop environment, that might be a different story, but I got sucked into Macs a long time ago. ... there is no difference between theory and practice. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?