Re: Graphics 1920x1440, monitor 1680x1050, nv 1280x1024.

On Tue, 5 May 2009 00:31:32 -0600
Dave Thayer <debian0912423.dmthayer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 08:20:36PM +0100, Nuno Magalhדes wrote:
Yeah i came across that but i'd assume DVI to be superior (i.e. more
recent, hence better) than VGA... Also, could the monitor's EDID be
reporting erroneous values?

I switched to VGA to give it a try, these are the results:

DVI:
# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 60.0*
1280x960 60.0
1152x864 60.0
1024x768 60.0
800x600 60.0 56.0
640x480 60.0

RGB:
# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600
default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
800x600 60.0* 56.0
640x480 60.0
400x300 60.0 56.0
320x240 60.0

These look like the basic VESA resolutions. I wonder if you could
force any additional resolutions by adding custom modelines to your
xorg.conf file.

dt

Any chance that it's a wide screen that has an option in the menu to either
automatically or manually adjust to a standard 3:4 resolution?

I've got a samsung syncmaster and on this particular monitor at least if I set
menu->setup->image size
to auto instead of wide (so that it gives a non-stretched screen for 3:4
resolutions) the edid comes out wrong and X doesn't recognize the high
resolutions. I don't recall what is the default behavior with this monitor
though.

  • Re: VGA vs. QVGA
    ... resolutions played in both modes ... There is not that much difference between VGA and QVGA when playing videos. ... narrowed it down to a few where the only significant difference for me ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: TV out through VGA? ATI X1400 with fglrx driver
    ... video card is _still_ in it's original box. ... analog VGA to analog component output. ... This unit was made for RCA's HDTV ... resolutions than just old analog TV. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: P5GZ-MX (Display Modes)
    ... VideoBiosTable or EDID would need to hold that resolution or I cant use it. ... And when I make it so I can see all available resolutions I get about 100 ... DVI or HDMI connector, presumably because the supported resolutions on ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: VGA vs. QVGA
    ... Does this give significant weight toward choosing a device with a VGA ... narrowed it down to a few where the only significant difference for me ... Has anyone experimented with videos in both ... resolutions played in both modes ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: VGA vs. QVGA
    ... resolutions played in both modes ... There is not that much difference between VGA and QVGA when playing videos. ... in my Pocket PC Mag Expert Blog for more info on this. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)