Re: changing to UTF-8

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 06:08:01PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:

I still see characters such as hyphens
(-), boldface pipes, and single quotes rendered as â (circumflex-a) in my
terminal windows. If I set LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1, then the characters are
shown correctly.

Your locale setup is fine. The problem here is that your terminal is
interpreting its input at ISO-8859-1 rather than UTF-8. You haven't
told us which terminal you are using, but most have an option to set
this. For terminals running on Linux, they usually default to the
locale charmap, but you may have explicitly set the encoding a while
back.

I think this is a font problem, but I just don't know how to diagnose it.

Your terminal will also need to use a font containing glyphs for the
UTF-8 characters you will be using, but for the ISO-8859-1 subset
you were using previously your existing font should be just fine.
Deja Vu Sans Mono is what I use since it contains a wide range of
Unicode characters and it also looks quite nice.

Regards,
Roger

--
.''`. Roger Leigh

  • Re: Filesystem access from a KLD causes "vrele: negative ref cnt" panic
    ... I have at most 78 characters per line, ... displays correcly on most terminals, ... Try to VREF() it. ... To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Reg multilanguage support by gnuplot
    ... So far as I know, Matsuda's postscript example used EUC encoding, not utf8. ... Your original query was about an EUC font. ... Unicode is an assignment of "all" characters to unique ... # Test of UTF-8 support by gnuplot terminals. ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot)
  • Re: remote [ssh] Backspace] key gives me "^?"
    ... I tend to guess you're using a terminal emulator from within X when ... unicode characters). ... It's because the TERM'inal emulation / keyboard layout's not ... I had this on BSDi terminals for ages and had something in my ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Delete Key?
    ... I would say that the effect of ASCII control characters on a terminal ... The meaning and use of various codes evolved from the ASR terminals through ... DEC applications embraced this default. ... use of BS and ESC as standard input keys. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Reg multilanguage support by gnuplot
    ... support for png and pdf terminals. ... PostScript cannot handle utf8. ... way to import general unicode/utf8 characters into PostScript, ... set terminal postscript enhanced color font "kochi-mincho, ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot)