Re: Understanding my SMART errors

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:50:29 -0500
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Could be cabling or some other component between the kernel and the HD, but
most likely this is the sign of a failing drive.

Jun 9 15:12:29 lizzie smartd[3474]: Device: /dev/hda, ATA error count
increased from 12 to 17
Jun 10 14:09:30 lizzie smartd[3474]: Device: /dev/hda, ATA error count
increased from 28 to 34

Is this drive going?

Most likely, yes. Although, it might not completely fail for quite a while.
It may even be fixable through manufacturer-specific means.

Thanks; I guess I'll start keeping my eyes open for a replacement.

Celejar