Re: How do you get aptitude to do what you want?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 15:47, lee<lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:58:21PM -0500, green wrote:
lee wrote at 2009-06-23 14:13 -0500:
I'm trying to upgrade my testing installation, but aptitude keeps yelp
in its current state, claiming that upgrading yelp would break a
dependency with gman. But gman is not even installed.

One thing that has helped me with aptitude is actually using the dependency
resolver correctly, so just a tip:

Initially I was not aware of the accept and reject options given by the
resolver, so when something was broken, I just kept pressing '.' to run through
lots of options.  Keys 'a' and 'r' can be used to accept/reject individual
package state changes, and the resolver will consider that when calculating the
next option.

Well, I tried that once, but there didn't seem to be any option
available that would solve the problem. And when I go back and tell
aptitude through the "normal" package selection that it should
remove/purge a package, I expect aptitude to do just that. Instead, it
makes other changes and keeps insisting on them and on insisting on
doing what it wants. That is very much unacceptable --- if aptitude
thinks it knows better than me what I want, it should work all by
itself without any intervention needed and do exactly what I want. If
it can't do that, it will just have to do what I tell it to do. If it
doesn't do that, aptitude just sucks and needs to be improved or
replaced. It's that simple.

It is way too much of a pain to deal with testing/unstable/experimental with
aptitude in non-interactive mode. Use interactive mode and it becomes a
breeze. You can see what is happening, jump around to different packages,
immediately see depends and reverse depends (and go to them), press b
to go to the next broken package, and press g at any time to see what the
actions to be taken would be and then back up to the package list with q.
And it is very easy to change the package states, to install, hold, or select
the specific version.

And of course, sometimes there are long chains of dependencies and
only some of them will enter at a given time. Then you have no choice
but to wait on upgrading those packages until the rest enter the repo.
Usually a few days or a week, but I seem to remember times that stuff
did not enter for a month.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

  • Re: Question about get-selections
    ... than "install" isn't really necessary to reproduce. ... existing system that you took the backup from, ... the package management wouldn't figure that out on its own. ... the ability to enter commands at the aptitude prompt. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: What to make of this apt-get update output.
    ... anywhere on line a recommendation to put volatile in a Wheezy ... Have you installed, and read, the debian-reference package yet. ... That's what most of us had to do when aptitude was introduced a few years back. ... if not aptitude install packagename=and it will ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Cost of packages in disk space?
    ... Using aptitude with it's gui will give you those data. ... not including any config/log files generated by the package) and sizes for ... applying a package set change. ... Install a software, remove them, and then take a look at what it would ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [SLE] APT & Reiserfs
    ... Try with apt-get -f install. ... This must resolve the unmet dependencies. ... This error message appears when apt is unable to locate a dependency in his ... > Reading Package Lists... ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Is there a UNIX standard for where to install local tools?
    ... tracking or dependency database. ... install them manually or install all without looking if he wants them. ... library and I did even prepare PAM package for Slackware. ... Too much scripting in any distribution tends to get in my way. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)