Re: Uptimes - any guidance? [moving OT]

AG <computing.account@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Allen Kenner wrote:
I use FreeBSD
instead for BSDs as it's closer to the stuff from Berkeley,

Yeah, FreeBSD has always interested me, but I have yet to try it.
Maybe once I've finished my current project and have some time on my
hands, I may well look to dual boot FreeBSD and Debian, just to see if
there's any difference. Are there any issues regarding UID flags for
/home for example on a shared Debian/ FreeBSD machine, if both OSs try
to access the same directory?

I am currently running FreeBSD inside of VirtualBox under Lenny, and
it works reasonably well. The UID was different for myself, so I just
changed it after I installed. I am now using ssh to communicate
without any problems. There are a number of other differences on how
they do things. Many programs, such as ls and ps, have different
command line options, so I often need to check to see if they support
the options that I am used to. Mostly it seems comparable, but Debian
seems a little more finished in most things.

I rarely reboot ever. One of the things that made me use Linux and BSD
to begin with was me being tired of rebooting for a MEDIA PLAYER! I
couldn't believe I had to reboot for it, and got fed up. Now, I reboot
only to add hardware. (I use FreeBSD, Slackware, SUSE, Mandriva, Debian,
and Solaris).

Aaah Slackware ... I still have fondness for Slackware and enjoyed
using it from 8.1 to 11.0 However, I confess to having become quite
spoiled by the package management system of Debian (and I suspect that
FreeBSD and Gentoo are similar with ports and portage respectively).

Ports are source, but they have a binary package system also. I
mostly use the binary packages, but I prefer Debian's package system.

--
Carl Johnson carlj@xxxxxxxx

  • Re: Best linux Distro 2011
    ... The FreeBSD Ports system isn't the only means to install software. ... debian is running on the most different hardware, on intel ... Slackware is more pure in my option, only because the developer aims to ... Bugs are fixed quite fast in FreeBSD too, spend time on -ports, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Review of FreeBSD 5.4
    ... but not less problems compared to FreeBSD. ... If you like to have a bleeding edge system using debian --- just go ... > the linux kernel suffers. ... When the kernel suffers, everyone who uses ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Vector Linux
    ... Debian is the favorite desktop flavor, with FreeBSD on the server. ... and my fallback desktop machine when necessary. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: xdm-options - non-bsd user needs bsd rc.d advice
    ... FreeBSD is definitely a better choice for *me* than Debian, ... open wireless network at a coffee shop. ... deterministic behavior out of their OSes, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: FreeBSD or DEBIAN for remotely administered internet server
    ... FreeBSD is by far the best *for me* from the ... Debian, OTOH, has an excellent track record when it comes to stability ... documentation is excellent for this which, IMHO, is one of the most ... The O'Reilly BSD site is worth a visit, ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)