apt pinning to blacklist a package

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

I want to prevent a particular package from ever being installed. In /etc/apt/preferences I have:

Package: somepackage
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -1

But the package can still be installed by either command:

apt-get install somepackage
apt-get install otherpackage (where 'otherpackage' depends on
'somepackage')

I thought maybe the 'version *' was throwing it off, so I replaced '*' with
the actual version number and the package still gets installed.

Any ideas how to achieve my goal of blacklisting this particular package?

-Rob

  • Re: unattended upgrades
    ... Hmm, well, I can't pretend to understand this; but doing apt-get install ... my wild-guess (never used this package before) is that this ... concrete update requires some "user-intervention" (maybe because it asks ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • APT: ubuntu-version of libgcc1=dependencies issue
    ... Recently I've been trying to install the libgtk2.0-dev package (on my ... Reading Package Lists... ... using 'apt-get install' and 'apt-get --reinstall' wich did not ... mines.app modutils moon-lander mozilla-browser mozilla-firefox ...
    (Debian-User)
  • re: if I were a newby how would I get sound?
    ... Try apt-cache search jack if memory serves that's a package that can get cdrom's playing out of the cdrom jack. ... You probably want to run the updatedb command as root when you're disconnected from the internet and then try locate "search string" too. ... A few useful files to download would be apt-get install less -r and apt-get install lg-all and apt-get install doc-linux-text and apt-get install debian-reference. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: how to upgrade only from stable.
    ... package specifically from test or sid like "apt-get install <package ... apt-get command like your wish. ... deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main ...
    (Debian-User)