Re: apt pinning to blacklist a package

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 09:12:39PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

I want to prevent a particular package from ever being installed. In /etc/apt/preferences I have:

Package: somepackage
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -1

But the package can still be installed by either command:

apt-get install somepackage
apt-get install otherpackage (where 'otherpackage' depends on
'somepackage')

I thought maybe the 'version *' was throwing it off, so I replaced '*' with
the actual version number and the package still gets installed.

Any ideas how to achieve my goal of blacklisting this particular package?

-Rob

Argh, moments after posting I came across a solution (I swear I've been googling for days). It works like this:

Package: somepackage
Pin: release a=fakerepo
Pin-Priority: 1001

Since "fakerepo" is not a valid release, "somepackage" is never
installable. I'm still not sure why my original scheme didn't work.

I got the solution from here: http://discuss.itwire.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13787&p=49182

-Rob

  • Errors applying kernel patch 118833-36
    ... install of Solaris 10 11/06. ... However, once the package list is done, I see a worrisome message: ... Below is the complete console output of the patch run. ... Changes for package SUNWnfsskr will not be applied to the system. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: SmartMenu - was: VRPC on a USB pen
    ... in applications distributed via package systems which are supposed to ... having to get the user to install it, or they could present the user ... Haskell compiler and associated tools (collectively referred to on ... haskell.org as the 'platform' package). ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: Stronghelp - can I change location set by Packman?
    ... it was needed to install a package though. ... RISC OS desktop. ... Simpler for the newbies arriving from Linux, ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • Re: Stronghelp - can I change location set by Packman?
    ... piles of applications causes lots of random file reads, ... third party installers such as, say, a package manager, but it all got ... applications *do* install things into Choices. ... I have nothing against an app in Choices - it's ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • Re: media player 10 setup issues
    ... Finished building install list. ... Package 'MPPRE' is version '10.0.0.3802'. ... Install for Exception pack ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)