Re: apt pinning to blacklist a package

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 09:12:39PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

I want to prevent a particular package from ever being installed. In /etc/apt/preferences I have:

Package: somepackage
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -1

But the package can still be installed by either command:

apt-get install somepackage
apt-get install otherpackage (where 'otherpackage' depends on

I thought maybe the 'version *' was throwing it off, so I replaced '*' with
the actual version number and the package still gets installed.

Any ideas how to achieve my goal of blacklisting this particular package?

Argh, moments after posting I came across a solution (I swear I've been googling for days). It works like this:

Package: somepackage
Pin: release a=fakerepo
Pin-Priority: 1001

Since "fakerepo" is not a valid release, "somepackage" is never
installable. I'm still not sure why my original scheme didn't work.

I got the solution from here: