Re: KDE compression options: tar, zip, or rar

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:12:56AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
2009/7/10 Osamu Aoki <osamu@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:24:19AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
KDE gives users three options to compress folders: tar, zip, and rar.
What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? How do I know which
one to use?

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#_archive_and_compression_tools

There is no discussion of the relative merits and problems with those
tools, only the fact that they exist.

If you read carefully, there are relative merits such as "higher
compression ratio than gzip(1) (slower than gzip with similar syntax)",
"higher compression and decompression speed than gzip", ...

I did benchmark them for myself before writing these.

"Which is better ..." question is useless unless you test these on your
needs. "which is more use" is something which you can ask other people.

Thank you, Osamu, but I cannot find a good comparison of the tools
directed for the Linux end user. The problem is that until I wrote
this question, I did nit even know which features the different
systems have!

Then install them and test then yourself. It costs nothing.

Osamu

  • Re: KDE compression options: tar, zip, or rar
    ... "higher compression and decompression speed than gzip", ... I correctly assumed that compression ratio and speed are ... data integrity, portability, and other differences. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • OT MySQL and PostgreSQL
    ... The recent heated discussion as to the relative merits of MySQL and ... PostgresSQL reminded me of a question that I want to ask of RDBMS ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: KDE compression options: tar, zip, or rar
    ... What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? ... There is no discussion of the relative merits and problems with those ... I did nit even know which features the different ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)