Re: MTA experts: address rewriting depending on next hop

Oops, this one slipped by me since I have moved the question to
d-devel, sorry for not Ccing d-user.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 16:10 -0600, lee wrote:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 01:03:01PM +0200, Siggy Brentrup wrote:

Here's the question again: which one of the abundance of MTAs in
Debian is capable of address rewriting depending on destination?

Exim4 can do this.

Nope, cf thread on d-devel, should be in the archives.

If I understand you right, you want to rewrite the addresses of mail
that is outgoing to hosts not on your LAN --- but you do not want to
rewrite the addresses of mail outgoing to other hosts on your LAN.

exactly, frankly spoken after >12 hours w/o useful response I didn't
expect d-u to be the right place to ask this question.

If that's what you want, you probably need to rewrite the addresses of
all mail that doesn't go to the domain used on your LAN. I assume that
you are running your own name server for the LAN --- if you don't, you
should.

Sure I do, a combination of djbdns & dnsmasq for a records generated
on the fly.

But then, why do you need to rewrite the addresses?

Look at the Received: headers in my mails, afaict winnegan.fake is no
valid domain outside my lan and using outside would provoke harsh
reactions.

Do you want to use one host that does address rewriting as a
smarthost, or do you want to do address rewriting on all hosts on
the LAN?

The smarthost is responsible for rewriting.

I'm not to lazy to read documentation, but if at all possible not for
all MTAs.

The documentation of Exim4 is outstanding. I haven't seen any better
for anything yet.

It's really good now but I switched to postfix >5 years ago and still
don't see a reason to change my preferred MTA.

thanks for your response
Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de