Re: MTA experts: address rewriting depending on next hop

Oops, this one slipped by me since I have moved the question to
d-devel, sorry for not Ccing d-user.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 16:10 -0600, lee wrote:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 01:03:01PM +0200, Siggy Brentrup wrote:

Here's the question again: which one of the abundance of MTAs in
Debian is capable of address rewriting depending on destination?

Exim4 can do this.

Nope, cf thread on d-devel, should be in the archives.

If I understand you right, you want to rewrite the addresses of mail
that is outgoing to hosts not on your LAN --- but you do not want to
rewrite the addresses of mail outgoing to other hosts on your LAN.

exactly, frankly spoken after >12 hours w/o useful response I didn't
expect d-u to be the right place to ask this question.

If that's what you want, you probably need to rewrite the addresses of
all mail that doesn't go to the domain used on your LAN. I assume that
you are running your own name server for the LAN --- if you don't, you
should.

Sure I do, a combination of djbdns & dnsmasq for a records generated
on the fly.

But then, why do you need to rewrite the addresses?

Look at the Received: headers in my mails, afaict winnegan.fake is no
valid domain outside my lan and using outside would provoke harsh
reactions.

Do you want to use one host that does address rewriting as a
smarthost, or do you want to do address rewriting on all hosts on
the LAN?

The smarthost is responsible for rewriting.

I'm not to lazy to read documentation, but if at all possible not for
all MTAs.

The documentation of Exim4 is outstanding. I haven't seen any better
for anything yet.

It's really good now but I switched to postfix >5 years ago and still
don't see a reason to change my preferred MTA.

thanks for your response
Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de

  • Re: MTU and Postfix
    ... Slightly lower overall performance when communicating with remote hosts. ... Almost zero difference on the LAN. ... attached to does not allow jumbo frames so I would have to completely ... the WAN port MTU is programmed to match the service provider equipment. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Routing with multiple IPs
    ... and requires the fewest changes/redesigns as the LAN side ... provide a physical path for LAN hosts. ... So one interface will connect to the ISP router -- it's the interface ... additional point of control and defense. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Router knows it all?
    ... and all the hosts on my LAN have private addresses. ... router performs NAT so that we can all access the internet (well over ... Does anyone know a home broadband internet router typically ...
    (comp.dcom.lans.ethernet)
  • Re: Reset connections when connecting to some websites.
    ... When I have PC users on the LAN try to connnect to "*.myspace.com", ... I suspect that PMTU Discovery by most hosts behind the fw/router fails ... /* "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary ... safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • re: kern/156408: [vlan] Routing failure when using VLANs vs. Physical ethernet interfaces.
    ... Although I am able to connect from a host on the office lan over the bridge ... these same hosts. ... firewall in the same manner as I described in my initial PR. ... and I see ARP requests on both the lan interface and the vpn ...
    (freebsd-net)